Happy Monday Friends! How did finding your tribe go last week? It can be SOOOOO hard to get out of our shells and join a new group, but so rewarding. I’ll admit, I’m less than consistent at attending my running group, I go 1-2 times a month. I know, it’s bad. However, because of this challenge, I pushed myself to join them at the Scottsdale Half Marathon. I ran the Feed the Hungry 5K with about 7 other members of the group. I’ll do a full race recap later, but the point is that I went, even though we had a Christmas party the night before. I had a glass of wine and really didn’t get enough sleep, but I still went to both because it’s important to have a community. Both events, were awesome. I got to wear my favorite sweater dress to the Christmas party, and met a few more people in my run group that go to different runs throughout the week. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I was on Snapchat!
Week 50: Limit Your Exposure to Everyday Chemicals
This week, WEEK 50 (isn’t that insane?) on our chemical environment. I’m talking about things like lotions, shampoos, makeup, soaps, the list goes on and on. It’s estimated that the average person is exposed to 150 chemicals PER DAY. That’s insane.
[Tweet “The average person is exposed to around 150 chemicals per day from skincare products! Reduce your exposure via @hungryhobby”]
When it comes to reading the back of a shampoo bottle, I’ll be totally honest when I say I’m lost. I can’t decipher what’s good and what’s not. I’ve heard of things like parabens and other words that may be bad for me, but they seem to blend in with the rest of the words on the ingredient list. I tend to use coconut oil instead of body lotion (I also use it on my hair), and then I play stupid about the rest of it because it just seems like way to much work.
Recently, my naturopath reminded me about the importance of limiting the chemicals we put on our skin. The more of this we intake, the harder it is for our liver and detoxification system to keep up. Some of these chemicals are thought to disturb hormone pathways and processes, which is the last thing I need right now. She suggested that I try out the app skin deep by the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
Back in the blog day, I used to do healthy phone app reviews all the time. If I had known about this one, it would have been first on the list! The best thing about the app is the scan capability. If I had to sit there and type each product I found into a search bar, I honestly probably wouldn’t do it. However, the app is built so that you can just scan the bar code and get results right there.
Once you scan, if the product is in the database, it will either tell you that it is a top-rated option or what chemicals in it are cause for concern. If there is a cause for concern it will tell you what level and allow you to explore the information on that chemical more. It’s pretty freaking awesome! The app is loaded with over 65,000 products and is constantly being updated. I tried it at Sprouts and Trader Joe’s so far. At both, I found that almost all the natural skin products were in the database, except for the store brand (Sprouts or Trader Joe’s). This was more annoying at Trader Joe’s where almost all their skin care line is Trader Joe’s brand.
Overall I think it will make it much easier to pay attention to the products I use on my skin and make better choices!
[Tweet “An easy way to limit your exposure to potentially harmful ingredients in skincare products via @hungryhobby”]
52 Healthy Habits E-Course
Did you miss this series or wish you could repeat it? No problem! I’ve put all the posts together in an e-course that directly corresponds with the healthy habits series! By focusing on one healthy habit per week you’ll be able to master the skills needed to successfully improve your health, increase your energy, and drop those unwanted pounds. The best part is, you’ll do it while barely even realizing it. These 52 habits are the habits I review with almost every single Hungry Hobby RD client. These habits are the backbone of getting off the diet train and getting the results you wanted! What are you waiting for??????
The e-course will provide supportive information such as tips and tricks to help you ingrain each healthy habit as part of your permanent lifestyle.
Cost of the automated series is $26 dollars (just 50 cents per week) for the whole year, which helps me cover the cost of automating the emails through my server. Thanks!
( Want to really plan to succeed and save money? What To Eat? Meal Plan subscriptions also come with this E-Course as part of the subscription! They also come with a supportive facebook group and a ton more goodies, check them out!)
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 52: Healthy Habits Wrap Up
- Week 51: Nightly Reflection
- Week 50: Limit Harmful Chemicals
- Week 49: Find Your Tribe
- Week 48: Cultivating Positivity
- Week 47: Healthy Thanksgiving Tips
- Week 46: Check In
- Week 45: Mobility – Foam Rolling
- Week 44: HIIT Training
- Week 43: LISS or Steady State Cardio
- Week 42: Limit Alcohol
- Week 41: Eat White, Wait What?
- Week 40: Eat Blue & Purple
- Week 39: Eat Green
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water