Hope you had a fun Independence Day! We definitely had tons of fun and I’m currently nursing a well deserved sun burn earned by refusing to move from that epic raft you see in the background. Also, I’m trying to get the motivation to get a great workout in but I’m thinking my body needs one more day of recovery from the sun and the tequila. #worthit
This bean dip was EPIC I used the BEST ever homemade refried beans on the bottom, followed by homemade guacamole (lazy style = mashed avocados, garlic salt, and taco sauce), sour cream, homemade salsa, topped with cheese, blue corn chips, provolone cheese for stars and tomatoes. We still have a ton left!
Oh yes, and these happened, it was epic.
We also did a ton of grilling of all kinds of sausages, tri tip, carnitas, and these turkey roll ups which will be up on HH later this week!
Week 27: Snack On Veggies
This month for our healthy habit focus we are taking it back to the basics. If you remember back in Week 3 the goal was to increase veggie intake. For that post I include a BUNCH of ways that help me to amp up my veggie intake. However, getting in enough veggies throughout the day doesn’t usually just happen as a one shot deal. It usually takes time to really amp up the amount of veggies you eat in a day.
I find with my Hungry Hobby RD clients (and myself) it can be hard to remember veggies as a great snack. We are kind of in the habit of thinking of things like cheese, nuts, bars, crackers, etc as snacks. It is easy to forget that veggies make a great option as well! Here are a few tips to help inspire you (and me) to focus on snacking on veggies this week:
- Prep and wash veggies before putting them away.
- Keep veggies at eye level on the refrigerator shelf (put meat and cheese in the crisper drawer.)
- Don’t be afraid to amp up the flavor with dips or pairings!
- Out of time? Grab a pre prepped veggie tray and snack on that all week!
10 Veggie Snack Ideas
- Stuff bell pepper halves with turkey, tuna, cottage cheese, or dips.
- Make a mini caprice salad with tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Make a “quick” 1 or 2 ingredient salad. My favorite is a bowl full of cucumber slices or shredded carrots (or both) with apple cider vinaigrette or other dressing on top.
- Pair veggies like snap peas, tomatoes, cucumber slices, zucchini slices, mini bell pepper etc with dips like hummus, yogurt and guac.
- Craving peanut/nut/seed butter? Try using celery or carrots for the crunch.
- Craving salty? Try pickled food like pickles or sauerkraut.
- Make Zucchini Fries like these.
- Turn the veggies into the dip with Paleo Hummus —> Buffalo Butternut Squash Hummus or Cauliflower Hummus
- Need something more substantial? Try half a sweet potato with coconut oil and cinnamon.
- For those of you that don’t mind braving the oven: make artichokes, broccoli tots or veggie fritters to snack on.
[Tweet “10 healthy and delicious ways to get more veggies in at snack time via @hungryhobby! #health #fitfluential #nutrition”]
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 52: Healthy Habits Wrap Up
- Week 51: Nightly Reflection
- Week 50: Limit Harmful Chemicals
- Week 49: Find Your Tribe
- Week 48: Cultivating Positivity
- Week 47: Healthy Thanksgiving Tips
- Week 46: Check In
- Week 45: Mobility – Foam Rolling
- Week 44: HIIT Training
- Week 43: LISS or Steady State Cardio
- Week 42: Limit Alcohol
- Week 41: Eat White, Wait What?
- Week 40: Eat Blue & Purple
- Week 39: Eat Green
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water