Nala waiting for the weekend to start on Friday.
Dealing with the shin splint situation…
Saturday was mostly a rest day due to the shin splint situation but I did do some abs before going to get my hair done! You know it’s good when your stylist takes a picture! (PS if you are in Arizona and need an amazing stylist definitely make an appointment with Brad – bradleymichaelhair(at)gmail(dot)com.) I’ve honestly never loved my hair more than I do right now!
Night dinner at BLD – Fried Goat Cheese Burger was DELICIOUS! Sunday Morning 5 Mile Run with Nala
Sunday Night Mass followed by a little walk at the Riparian Reserve
HEALTHY CHALLENGE: EAT ORANGE & YELLOW
Last week we got started on our ROY G BIV challenge with Red. How did it go, did you try a new red vegetable? Since orange and yellow produce have similar benefits, you get a two for one this week! Below are some benefits to get you motivated to include more orange and yellow vegetables and fruit this week!
Nutrients in orange and yellow vegetables:
- Zeaxanthin – thought to protect against macular degeneration!
- Flavonoids – powerful antioxidants which aid the immune system and fight inflammation. These properties help protect the cardiovascular and nervous systems. They also support the liver and aid in improved detoxification pathways!
- Lycopene – we learned about this one last week!
- Potassium – think of potassium as the counterbalance to sodium. Therefore it is vital to heart health, muscular function, nerve function, metabolism, and electrolyte balance.
- Vitamin C – potent antioxidant and immune support
- Beta-carotene & Vitamin A – similar to flavonoids, carotenoids are known to act as powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Minimal amounts of beta-carotene will convert to Vitamin A. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient playing roles in eye health, the immune system, cell growth and cellular communication.
Orange & Yellow Recipes
[Tweet “Color your plate yellow and orange with these #healthy #recipes from @hungryhobby ! #glutenfree”]
Pumpkin Maple Coffee Creamer
Tropical Carrot Smoothie
Southwest Cottage Cheese Muffins
Sweet Potato Protein Pancakes 2
Pumpkin Coffee Smoothie
Baked Pumpkin Pancake
Flourless Single Serving Pancake
Pumpkin Breakfast Quesadilla
Sungold Kiwi Lime Marinated Chicken
Bacon Broccoli Slaw
Make Ahead Chop Chop Salad
Spicy Tuna Salad
Butternut Squash Soup
Cottage Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
Spicy Farmbox Stirfry
Shrimp Enchilada Spaghetti Squash
Simple Spaghetti Squash with sausage and marinara
Pizza Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Stuffed Delicata Squash
Buffalo Butternut Squash Hummus
Other things you could try:
- Yellow/Orange Cauliflower
- Slice Yellow Apples & eat them with this awesome caramel dip
- Try dried apricots as an on the go snack or fresh ones for a snack or with breakfast
- Try this broiled grapefruit for a snack or breakfast.
- Snack on nectarines, papaya, peaches, persimmons, and tangerines.
- Swap one of the recipes found on last week’s Healthy Challenge: EAT RED for their orange-yellow counterparts such as yellow beets, yellow watermelon, and yellow tomatoes.
Do you have favorite orange and yellow recipes? Feel free to link up below!
52 Healthy Habits E-Course
Did you miss this series or wish you could repeat it? No problem! I’ve put all the posts together in an e-course that directly corresponds with the healthy habits series! By focusing on one healthy habit per week you’ll be able to master the skills needed to successfully improve your health, increase your energy, and drop those unwanted pounds. The best part is, you’ll do it while barely even realizing it. These 52 habits are the habits I review with almost every single Hungry Hobby RD client. These habits are the backbone of getting off the diet train and getting the results you wanted! What are you waiting for??????
The e-course will provide supportive information such as tips and tricks to help you ingrain each healthy habit as part of your permanent lifestyle.
Cost of the automated series is $26 dollars (just 50 cents per week) for the whole year, which helps me cover the cost of automating the emails through my server. Thanks!
( Want to really plan to succeed and save money? What To Eat? Meal Plan subscriptions also come with this E-Course as part of the subscription! They also come with a supportive facebook group and a ton more goodies, check them out!)
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 52: Healthy Habits Wrap Up
- Week 51: Nightly Reflection
- Week 50: Limit Harmful Chemicals
- Week 49: Find Your Tribe
- Week 48: Cultivating Positivity
- Week 47: Healthy Thanksgiving Tips
- Week 46: Check In
- Week 45: Mobility – Foam Rolling
- Week 44: HIIT Training
- Week 43: LISS or Steady State Cardio
- Week 42: Limit Alcohol
- Week 41: Eat White, Wait What?
- Week 40: Eat Blue & Purple
- Week 39: Eat Green
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water