Need dinner in less than 15 minutes? This Mu Shu Shrimp dish is ready in less than 15 minutes, is gluten-free, healthy and low carb!
Welcome to your one-stop shop, Monday motivation, and one pan meal! Okay, technically this isn’t entirely a one pan meal because you have to mix the sauce up quick in something.
My suggestion is to use a dishwasher-safe bowl to mix the sauce up, or mason jar, and then you still only have to wash ONE dish. I’m always thinking of you! Full disclosure, this recipe was posted back in 2014 that severely needed updating, boy was it worth it!
As mentioned on Friday, I angered my shoulder again. That meant taking the weekend off from exercise, which for me, means extra work at trying to keep my happy pants on. Nothing makes me happier than a great workout and nothing makes me more agitated than a lack of movement.
I feel like Nala, kind of possessed with more energy than I know what to do with. I try to redirect it into work, but eventually, I get bored. There is only so long you can stare at a computer screen before you can’t anymore, even if you love what you do, which I do.
Then I think about how far I’ve come. I think about how I’ve changed my lifestyle from eating McDonald’s cheese danishes every morning to veggie-filled egg bakes. How I’d rather eat at home than go through a drive-through.
How working out used to be a chore, and now it’s a privilege. Then, I become grateful for the antsiness, I even welcome it a little bit. A little reminder of how far I’ve come and how lucky I am to be where I am today.
Gratefulness and gratitude journaling is seriously the best thing that ever happened to me. It allows me to enjoy and appreciate all the things that happen to me that I take for granted. Like shrimp, Mr. Hungry was pretty upset I made this dish when shrimp is out for at least 90 days for him. Be grateful for shrimp you guys, it’s the best.
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Mu Shu Shrimp
- 2 T lower sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 T fish sauce
- 2 T brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 T dark sesame oil or coconut oil
- 1 T minced garlic or 1tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger or ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 14-ounce package shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups cooked shrimp tail off (defrosted)
- ¼ cup cashews or slivered almonds
- 1.5 tsp sesame seed for garnish
- ½ cup sliced green onions for garnish
- Make the sauce by combining the first four ingredients (and if using powdered seasonings add garlic and ginger.)
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. (If shrimp is not defrosted, add shrimp and cook until defrosted, discard excess water.)
- Add oil and shrimp (if using fresh – add garlic and ginger to pan) sauté for 30 seconds. Add sauce mixture, carrots, and purple cabbage; cook until carrots and cabbage begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced onions and sesame seeds, serve immediately.
From the original post: We served ours by placing romaine leaves in the bottom of our bowls
Adding pre-cooked brown rice
Then we topped it with the shrimp mixture. We both kind of ate them as messy lettuce tacos, and they were delicious! Doused mine in sriracha of course!