Restaurant quality creamy, slightly crunchy, and spicy stupid easy shrimp tacos with creamy chipotle sauce in less than 15 minutes. Taco night is every night of the week with this recipe!
Well hello, there friends! I know that I’m checking in a little later than usual, but may yesterday just got away from me. Then, when I was working on this post last night I had one of those pregnant moments where I just knew that I wouldn’t be able to pull through, my bedtime was 8 pm.
I knew I needed the sleep because I have a sports nutrition presentation tonight at a local library on Sports Nutrition. For my local friends, it will be at Basha Chandler Library at 6 pm TONIGHT, would love to see you all there!
So, if you’ve been following along this week, you remember the story I told on Monday about having to give away my potentially pregnancy unsafe tacos to Mr. Hungry. I mentioned that I used Monday’s creamy chipotle sauce to recreate the tacos and here they are! I know it’s not Taco Tuesday, but lately, every night in the Shallal house has been taco night, so there is that.
It was like these tacos made everything right with the world again, at least my emotional pregnant world anyway. So besides loving tacos (I’ve shot two separate taco recipes this week.) Things are busy this week.
I forgot how much time an intensive photo shoot schedule takes. I did this same sort of thing (pre-shot a ton of recipes) when we moved last summer, and it was just as crazy. Cook the food, style the food, shoot the food (and I’m not exactly a quick photographer either) and then clean up.
But you know what the crazy part is. How grateful I feel for so many things, despite the hard work:
- Grateful to have more energy and fewer food aversions after the craziness of the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Grateful to have a job that gets me up and moving while my rib was acting up when sitting.
- Grateful to be making a living from doing something I love (both seeing clients and running the blog, and now the meal plans!).
- Grateful to have a wonderfully supportive husband and family. Mr. Hungry’s sister is my VA, and his mom helps out too!
- Grateful for my readers, clients, and everyone who makes it possible for me to do this.
- Grateful for Nala and Missy to hang out with during the day.
- Grateful I have a baby boy on the way, which is the whole reason I’m doing all this photography right now.
I’d say it’s the pregnancy hormones, but I know that I’ve worked hard for the last three years to create a practice of gratitude and appreciation in my life. I could focus on what everyone is doing better than me, or I can enjoy the moments that I’m living in now.
After years of practice, I’m now able to stop myself in my tracks and reset my mindset. It’s an incredibly powerful tool; it makes me and me alone responsible for my happiness.
What I’m doing now – the blog, working with clients, and the meal plans I would do for free if I didn’t need to pay my mortgage (& student loans.) That makes it worth it to work hard every day to make a living from it, and it’s something I remind myself every single day.
So now that the sappiness is out of the way, let’s talk ingredients:
Shrimp – I used precooked, peeled, deveined, and tail off. I provided instructions if you want to use raw shrimp as well. You could sub scallops in this recipe if you like the taste of them!
Taco Skillet Sauce – Just because I run a food blog does NOT mean that I make everything from scratch, nor do I think my clients or meal plan subscribers should either. It’s all about making healthy eating affordable, not about spending hours slaving away in the kitchen. Frontera Shrimp Taco Skillet Sauce with key lime and cilantro is absolutely delicious with 100% clean ingredients. (No they aren’t sponsoring I’m just a big fan.)
Shredded Cabbage – you could sub any green leafy veggies here, or use whatever color cabbage you want. I just love cabbage in tacos because it adds a nice fresh crunch that you can’t beat!
Tortillas – We love the Siete Cassava Tortillas, they are my favorite brand of tortillas ever. I like them better than corn or wheat flour tortillas. However they are kind of expensive, so if you aren’t following a paleo diet corn tortillas will work as well.
Stupid Easy Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1. Place a large skillet on medium-high. If you are using frozen precook or uncooked shrimp all you need to do is defrost the shrimp and drain the water once they are defrosted. (If you are using fresh shrimp, skip to the next step.)
- 2. Once they are defrosted and the excess water is drained from the skillet, add the shrimp taco skillet sauce and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium high. If you are using precooked shrimp you are just looking for the sauce to thicken a little bit. If you are using raw shrimp make sure they become pink all the way through, this takes no more than 2-3 minutes.
- 3. To crisp up your tortillas, spray a skillet with cooking spray and place on medium to medium-high. Add a tortilla and let it crisp in the pan until it is just barely browned and then flip it and do the same on the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- 4. Once the tortillas and shrimp are done cooking you can assemble the tacos. For each taco add ¼ cup cabbage, 1/4 lb shrimp (or ¼ of mixture), and 1 TBSP of sauce to each taco.
Love tacos? Me too!
Don’t forget to save this recipe for later and follow @hungryhobby on Pinterest for more healthy recipes, quick workouts, and nutrition tips.