Fiery creamy chipotle shrimp with bell peppers and onions for an easy fajita-style skillet meal ready in less than 30 minutes!
Hi, friends! How is your week going? I just wrapped up a conference, and I’m feeling all the highs and motivation of going to a conference, but also behind on work and extremely tired. So it’s a weird mix!
Do you know what’s not a weird mix? My creamy chipotle sauce is paired with shrimp. I love this pairing in tacos, but I recently thought I’d try something different in a quick skillet meal jam-packed with fiery sauce and caramelized fajita veggies for a delicious dinner in under 30 minutes!
Let’s jump right into how easy this recipe is to make!
How to Make Creamy Chipotle Shrimp
Your first step is to make at least a half batch of my creamy chipotle sauce.
Once that’s ready, you’ll get to cooking your skillet meal.
I live in Arizona, so I usually buy frozen shrimp (most recently, I’ve been ordering from Butcher Box.) I defrost and cook them through on a skillet, then set them aside for later. This is a great time to remove the tails if you want to! I usually do. The only reason I didn’t was that the tails look kind of pretty in the final photo. Then, you will cook your veggies “fajita-style.”
PRO TIP: The thinner you cut your onions and bell peppers the quicker they will cook. Big thick strips will take much longer to cook than thinner ones.
The key to getting that beautiful caramelization is to leave them the F alone while they cook. Toss them with some oil, put the lid on, and leave them alone for at least 10 minutes. You’ll get a beautiful caramelization that can’t be matched! The veggies are done when they are fork-tender.
Once your veggies are ready, just add them back in your shrimp, along with sauce and some half and half (I love Ripple half and half for dairy-free.) And you are good to go! Easy peasy!
Swaps and Substitutions
Please see this post for swaps and substitutions for the creamy chipotle sauce.
Shrimp – you could easily swap any hearty cooked protein, like chicken, pork, tofu, or turkey. Remember to toss the meal together, so certain proteins like fish might fall apart. Make sure you follow the recommended temperatures for cooking alternative protein options.
Veggies – you can add or take away here as much as desired! I used more traditional fajita-style veggies, but adding in something like chopped zucchini would be fun too!
Half and half – for dairy-free, I like Ripple half and half.
MORE CHIPOTLE SAUCE RECIPES:
- Honey-Chipotle Sauce
- Southwest Chipotle Sauce
- Barbecue Chiptole Sauce
- Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce for Fish Tacos
Tag me if you make these! I love to see what you guys make! You can tag me on Insta @hungryhobbyRD and Facebook @hungryhobby!
Creamy Chipotle Shrimp
Half Batch Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo
- 2 tbsp cilantro fresh
- 1 /2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 can chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 1/2 lime juiced 2-3 tablespoons
Creamy Chipotle Shrimp Skillet
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced, deseeded and deveined
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced, deseeded and deveined
- 1/4 white onion sliced
- 1/2 cup half and half for dairy-free use ripple
- cilantro for garnish
- Combine all ingredients for the creamy chipotle sauce in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.1/2 cup avocado mayo, 2 tbsp cilantro, 1 /2 tbsp honey, 1/2 can chipotle chile in adobo sauce, 1/2 lime juiced
- If you bought frozen shrimp or raw shrimp, defrost on the skillet until just heated and cooked through. Shrimp should be firm and brightly colored pink. Remove from heat and set aside.1 lb shrimp
- Add veggies to a large skillet (with a lid) in medium-high heat, toss with oil and cover with the lid. Let cook for 10 minutes. Toss veggies and continue to cook until desired softness is reached. Fork tender is good!1/2 tbsp avocado oil, 2 green bell peppers, sliced, deseeded and deveined, 2 red bell peppers, sliced, deseeded and deveined, 1/4 white onion sliced
- Add back in shrimp and toss quickly to combine. Then add 3/4 cup of your sauce and 1/2 cup half and half. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until everything is well coated and slightly thickened. Stir to combine.1/2 cup half and half
- Garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.cilantro for garnish
Tanvir Ahmed says
I have loved shrimp since my childhood. Shrimp skillet with creamy chipotle sauce best combination.