Buffalo Chicken Meatballs – a healthier gluten free appetizer full of all the game day worthy flavor with fewer calories! Gluten Free
I hear the Super Bowl is this weekend, is this true? OF COURSE, IT’S TRUE! I know this, not because I love sports and can’t wait for the game. I know this for the same reason I know when it’s National Blueberry Pancake day (last Saturday) because I have a food blog.
If you think about it, it’s kind of hysterical. The only sports team I sort of follow is the Wildcats basketball games. That doesn’t matter though because I know so many of you LOVE football and are looking for healthy treats to bring to a party or serve yourself!
Well, this recipe has only 5 ingredients and is super easy to make!
I actually made it with turkey the first time and chicken the second time. Both were delicious because let’s be honest the taste difference between chicken and turkey isn’t that vivid, especially once you douse it in buffalo sauce.
However, I did find that because I was able to get 99% lean ground turkey that version was a bit sturdier, not as moist, which I prefer. Mr. Hungry liked the ground chicken (generic from Sprouts, I have no idea how lean the chicken was) better because they were moister. So, you can decide what kind of meatball you would prefer and then pick the appropriate poultry selection!
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Gluten Free Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb ground 99% lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 egg
- 3 medium zucchini shredded (3 cups)
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup buffalo sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a large baking sheet with heavy duty foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Shred zucchini by hand or using the food processor shredded attachment, then squeeze dry of excess water. (I use a dish towel and then wash it, or sometimes I use paper towels.) Really, try to get as much moisture out as possible.
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make meatballs about the size of 2 tablespoons (I actually used a cookie scoop to measure, but I have separate cookie scoops to keep cross contamination from occurring) and place on large cookie sheet.
- Bake until set, about 45 minutes. Make sure internal temperature reaches 165F.
More game day recipes? Check out 10 Healthy Gluten Free Game Day Recipes & 10 Nutrition Tips!