Hi Friends! This week has been flying by! I love it when that happens! It’s been fun to be exclusive Hungry Hobby RD/Blog only the last month, but I also really love teaching and am happy to be meeting all my new students! Anyway, as you know I’ve been cranking out appetizers and snacks like crazy over the last couple of weeks so I think it’s only appropriate to finally round them all up to give you some ideas for the ultimate game day feast—> The Super Bowl! So here we go, let me know if you try anything! #hungryhobby (<— OMG can we make that a thing??? I’m legit if I have my own hashtag right?)
Side Note: I realized after I put this list together that all these recipes are gluten free. I didn’t do that intentionally, but usually when I’m making appetizers it’s for Mr. Hungry and friends so they ended up being Gluten Free!
Mini Corn Dog Bites are the perfect tasty game day treat, easy to make so you won’t have a problem cranking out multiple batches, just be sure you have enough dipping sauce!
Mini Polenta Pizza Bites (GF, Vegetarian Option)
Mini Polenta Pizza Bites are your grown up gluten-free homemade bagel bite redesigned. These one’s are in and out of the oven in less than 10 minutes so you can have the whole recipe done in 20 minutes!
Sriracha Hummus (GF, Vegetarian)
Sriracha Hummus. Sriracha, enough said?
Zucchini Nachos (GF)
Instead of ordering pizza, consider doing an easy taco bar for your guests or family. Add Zucchini strips as an option for chips to make zucchini nachos!
Healthy 3.5 Layer Bean Dip (GF, Vegetarian)
I bet you have all the ingredients for this Healthy 3.5 Layer Ban Dip in your fridge right now, go ahead and layer away then dip away!
Buffalo Butternut Squash “Hummus” (Paleo, GF, Vegan)
Buffalo Butternut Squash “Hummus” is a mouth-watering sweet and spicy dip that is grain free, bean free and dairy free so it’s sure to please everyone!
Buffalo Cheddar Quinoa Bites (GF, Vegetarian)
Buffalo Cheddar Quinoa Bites are packed with spicy buffalo sauce and savory cheddar, they got just the right amount of kick for a bite size delight!
Bacon Broccoli Slaw (GF)
Broccoli Slaw would make a great super quick veggie option in addition to any veggie trays for all those dips!
Spicy Tuna Avocado Cakes (GF, Paleo)
Spicy Tuna Avocado Cakes are protein and flavored packed, delicious with salsa and sour cream/greek yogurt.
Serve these Taco Tuna Quinoa Sliders with some guacamole and salsa! Just be prepared to watch them disappear quickly!
Jamaican Jerk Baked Wings – no breading, just tons of flavor and crispiness! gluten free and paleo friendly
For those that like it hot, hot, hot this is the perfect dip to put out for the appetizer spread!
Nutrition Tips For Game Day
Bring something healthy.
- Don’t worry about being the weird one, I always find that people eat all the veggies when I bring them. A veggie tray or fun salad will disappear quicker than you think.
Start with water.
- Before eating or drinking anything commit to have one or even two glasses of water. It will help fill you up, and the extra hydration will fight a hangover (if you are drinking.)
Fill up on the veggies
- I always go for a hefty helping (at least two fistfuls of veggies) before I eat anything else. The volume, as well as the fiber from the veggies willl help to fill my stomach plus I get some time to assess which treats I really want (see number 5).
Pick the right size plate.
- In a previous, yet similar blog post (see below) I mentioned using a smaller plate so it is more visual satisfying when you fill it. However, at Super Bowl parties they often have those teenie tiny plates that invite you to go back for 2nd, 3rd or 10ths like it’s totally normal. Either use multiple trips to you advantage, start with veggies, then protein, then a starch or just get one normal size plate and fill it only once.
- Do not grab from the chip bowl and eat directly from it. The bigger the bowl the more you will end up eating. Make sure you plate everything!
Pick your starch.
- It’s easy to stack starch sources at a party and skip the protein when it comes to eats like these, with so many fun dishes it’s hard to choose. Try to pick 1-2 starchy dishes and leave the rest alone. Remember alcohol is a starch so ideally your balancing that choice with the rest of your meal.
Pay attention to your meal when you’re eating.
- With so many distractions, like the game and friends, it’s easy to devour your plate and not even realize it. Before you know it your up getting more food. When you are eating try to pay attention to your meal as much as possible so your mind registers you are eating. Even just simply looking down at your plat and registering which part is your favorite can help you tune in.
Out of sight out of mind.
- Try not to position yourself in so that the leftovers are not in your line of sight.
Don’t obsess over one day.
- When working with Hungry Hobby RD clients, I’m never worried about one holiday a month. I’m more worried about the days before and after the holiday, the break room eats, the things you do every day. Health is all about balance, unless you eat over 3,500 extra calories you aren’t going to gain anything but water weight from one day.
- Focus on the game and your friends, not the food. Enjoy the experience, it’s only once a year. We don’t get another true opportunity to get together with a lot of friends again until the summer or maybe even Thanksgiving so make the most of it!