Delicious homemade peanut butter chocolate protein bars using just five ingredients you probably have laying around right now. These healthy protein bars are gluten & egg free.
Two protein bar recipes in a row? Yes!
Mr. Hungry said I had to share with you this “tweak” on my chocolate protein fudge recipe I shared last week. He has been working out twice a day, playing basketball in the AM and lifting in the PM (after little man goes to bed, I don’t know how he does it.) He was starting to have INTENSE afternoon cravings that led to him eating a bunch of junk every afternoon. I figured he wasn’t getting enough protein, so I suggested he try to increase his intake.
(I’ve found that in marriage polite suggestions work better than screaming I’ve told you a billion times that you need more protein! It’s okay that he gets most of his nutrition advice from Joe Rogan and Brendan Schaub, except when they pedal brain supplements, I’m not down with that. )
He then proceeded to send me a TON of protein bars to purchase online that were filled with a bunch of crap. Fake sugars, excess real sugar, chemicals, and preservatives, to name a few. So, I set out to make him a bar that he would like (he is a bit picky when it comes to protein bars – no dates allowed or as he likes to call them “cockroaches” because that’s what they look like to him), was healthy, and easy to make.
I doubled the amount of protein and used only bananas instead of bananas and sweet potato. I was a little worried he would think they were too banana tasting, but he LOVES them. I’ve been making them every week now for a couple of months, and I’m happy to say that his afternoon cookie cart purchases are GONE!
Oh, and his body fat percentage dropped 2% in the last two months (he is already pretty lean to start with so that is hard to do) so he is finally seeing some payout for his two-a-days.
Customize This Recipe
These are a great snack or even breakfast on the go, and they are customizable! I’ve used both whey protein and vegan protein in these bars. Both work great. You can also use any nut butter you want, but I’ve only tried peanut butter. The riper the banana you use, the sweeter these bars will be.
You May Also Like:
- 18+ Protein Dessert Recipes
- Vegan Fudgy Protein Brownies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
- Chocolate Protein Cake
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Mug Cake
- Easy Protein Pancakes
Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bars
- 8 x 8 baking dish
- 4 banana
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup peanut butter natural
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8 x 8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor or by hand combine banana, cocoa powder, protein powder, and peanut butter.
- Fold in chocolate chips (saving a tablespoon or so to add to the top of the bars.) Pour the bars into the baking dish and then sprinkle what you saved over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then allow to cool for 5 minutes. Cut into 9 bars, store in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze them for up to 6 months.
Use my recipe filtering to find any recipe you want in my recipe index! Filter by meal, ingredients, diet, or occasion! You may also like: