Slow cooker salsa verde chicken is the perfect shredded chicken recipe for use in tacos, taco salads, lettuce wraps, regular wraps, and bowls! Paleo, Whole 30, Gluten & Dairy Free
I got the idea for this recipe from the Whole Foods hot bar. It’s not exactly a new recipe because salsa slow cooker chicken is a classic slow cooker recipe. However, what Whole Foods had was better than anything I had in the past. Why? Because theirs had:
- Chunks of chicken vs. stringy shredded chicken.
- Slow cooked onions that were still intact, but not overwhelming.
So after going there TWICE to get it, I figured I should set out to replicate it! Since then I’ve made this three times at home, and every time it’s a HUGE hit! Did I mention it’s only three ingredients?
How To Make Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
Dump one jar of salsa verde into the bottom and then add the chicken. You can make your own salsa verde if you are up to that, but I’m all about the quickness and convenience of using the pre-jarred stuff.
Then cut up your onions and throw those on top of the chicken followed by the second jar of salsa verde.
Then you’ll let it cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. To get this chicken to come out right, I have a couple of crucial tips for you.
Do not touch the chicken while it’s cooking! You want to leave it alone for two reasons. First, because you don’t want it to start shredding on you early, second, because if you leave it, some parts will naturally get browned at the bottom of the slow cooker. Leaving it alone saves you from having to pre-brown the chicken.
Use tongs to break up the chicken once it’s cooked! We love “chunks of chicken” versus shredded stringy chicken in this recipe. To get the chicken to be chunkier vs. stringy, you’ll want to leave the chicken in the slow cooker and break it up with tongs once it’s done cooking. If you have a tough time breaking it up (the center will be more resistant ), then it isn’t done yet. Let it cook a little while longer!
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 32 ounces salsa verde I used two 16 ounce jars
- 1 white onion cut into strips
- 2 lbs chicken breast defrosted
- Pour one jar (or half) of the salsa verde on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place chicken breast in the slow cooker and top with onion slices.
- Pour remaining salsa verde over chicken breast.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
- If you want some pieces with "browning," then you should minimize the amount you move the chicken while it's cooking. Just let it do its thing without stirring it or otherwise disturbing it.
- For chunks of chicken vs. shredding: cook it long enough that you can break the chicken up with tongs instead of shredding it.
You might also like: