This is the BEST Leftover Turkey Sandwich recipe, plus it’s easy! Leftover turkey, artichoke, pesto, sun-dried tomato, grilled red onions, and creamy gouda cheese.
Hello friends! I know I’m a little late posting this recipe, BUT my guess is that some of you still have some turkey leftovers (especially those of you who waited to buy your turkey and could only find an 18lb turkey for a party of 3.) If not, make this sandwich with deli turkey instead of leftover turkey, or use rotisserie chicken, either way, make this sandwich because it’s soooooo good.
I’m not sure if the Kneader’s chain is worldwide, but this sandwich recipe is based on their turkey artichoke sandwich, which is DELICIOUS. (Also, the only sandwich without lunch meat, so prego over here can eat it.) It’s also easy enough to make at home, so I decided to recreate it!
The key to this delicious leftover turkey sandwich is to have a jar of marinated artichokes and a jar of sun-dried tomatoes on hand. Then you are basically halfway there!
How to Make Leftover Turkey Sandwich
The first step isn’t totally necessary, but I do love grilled onions > raw onions. So, I started by sauteeing 1/4 red onion sliced in a teaspoon of butter for a few minutes. Then I started building the sandwiches by spreading butter over one side of both slices, then mayo to one side of one piece and pesto to the other.
From there, I started building the sandwich, adding the grilled onions, artichokes, turkey, and sun-dried tomatoes. You can add or skip anything here, but this combination was the BEST! I seriously could eat this sandwich every day.
Topped off with creamy smoked gouda that will melt into a cheesy deliciousness when you grill these sandwiches up like a souped-up grown-up grilled cheese. If you have a panini press or a George Forman, you could stick these in there as well. Either way, I love the golden brown, slightly crunchy buttery bread (I used Dave’s Killer Bread) on this sandwich.
I served it with some veggies and fruit I had lying around the fridge, but you could also do a warm bowl of tomato soup. Yum yum!
More Healthy Turkey Leftover Recipes
- Thanksgiving Leftover Turkey Chili
- Leftover Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- Healthy Leftover Turkey Salad
- Healthy Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
- Healthy Leftover Turkey Enchilada Bake (Gluten-Free)
- Healthy Leftover Turkey Breakfast Enchiladas (Gluten-Free)
- Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole (Gluten-Free)
- Low Carb Turkey Enchiladas (Gluten-Free)
and more in this round-up of turkey recipes!
The BEST Leftover Turkey Sandwich
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil mayo
- 1 tbsp pesto
- 1/8 red onion
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 marinated artichoke quarters
- 3 ounces turkey
- 1.5 ounces gouda cheese
- Saute onion slices in 1 tsp butter until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with 1 tsp butter.
- To the plain side of one piece, add mayo. To the plain side of the other piece, add pesto.
- On top of the pesto side of one of the pieces of bread, add grilled onions, sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, turkey, and top with gouda. Finally, top with the other bread slice with the mayo side down and the butter side up.
- Place the sandwich on a skillet on medium-low heat, grill for 3-5 minutes until bread is golden brown and crispy. Carefully flip the sandwich over and repeat on the other side.
- Serve immediately.