This Leftover Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole is what winning dinner casseroles are made of just chop, toss, bake, and eat!
If you are a new to Hungry Hobby (welcome!), you may not know this about me, but I despise Thanksgiving food. This year we aren’t hosting very many people, so I’m not doing any cooking, pretty sure we are going to order from Whole Foods or something. (But, if you are looking for healthy-ish (real food, not low calorie) Thanksgiving recipes here is my usual menu along with a round-up of all HH Thanksgiving recipes!)
In contrast, Mr. Hungry could eat it all day every day for the rest of his life. Like I wish Boston Market had a rewards program that’s how much he likes it. That’s okay though because Mr. Hungry’s family introduced me to the Leftover Turkey Enchiladas leftover tradition almost ten years ago and since then I have something to look forward to when it comes to Thanksgiving food!
Basically, they had this little tradition of always making enchiladas out of their turkey leftovers. If you know me, you know that Mexican food is hands down my favorite food next to pizza. So, I can survive a day of cornbread stuffing to get to the enchiladas!
I’ve kept this tradition alive in our house and here at HH by posting a slightly different turkey enchilada recipe every year. PS all these recipes could be made with rotisserie chicken as well, so you don’t have to be limited to just the holidays!
- Low Carb Turkey Enchilada Casserole
- Breakfast Turkey Enchilada Casserole
- Gluten-Free Turkey Enchilada Bake + VIDEO
- Leftover Turkey Enchiladas
And now for the newest addition to the best leftover tradition EVER… Leftover Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole!
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Turkey Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with avocado oil.
- Add sweet potatoes, zucchini, enchilada sauce, yellow onion, chicken or turkey, and 1 cup of cheese in the casserole dish. Mix it so it's evenly distributed and coated well in the sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the sweet potato chunks are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro, green onions, avocado, and black olives as desired.
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later and follow @hungryhobby on Pinterest for more healthy recipes, workouts, and nutrition tips!