These healthy chicken tacos use my go-to super easy chicken taco meat recipe with ground chicken for an easy dinner ready in 30 minutes!
This recipe starts with my healthy chicken taco meat recipe. Unlike my chipotle chicken tacos or my raspberry chipotle chicken tacos, this recipe uses ground chicken instead of shredded. Don’t get me wrong. I love shredded chicken tacos, but healthy chicken tacos are just so easy to make with ground chicken. And you may think that they would be dry, but I promise you, they are juicy and flavorful in every bite!
How to Make Healthy Chicken Tacos
You’ll start by making your healthy chicken taco meat! You’ll start by sauteing onions and jalapenos. Then, you’ll add your seasoning and ground chicken. Finally, you’ll let it simmer for a few minutes with juicy diced tomatoes and black beans.
Want to sneak in some more veggies? I suggest adding one shredded zucchini to the ground chicken taco mix as I do in my oven-fried chicken taquitos! You won’t even know it’s there, and either will your kids! Promise. Check out my chicken taco meat recipe for more swaps and substitution ideas.
What makes these chicken tacos healthy?
Swapping ground chicken for ground beef lowers calories and fat. (I love good quality ground beef and use it regularly, but it’s important to have a variety of protein sources in your week for optimal health. Maybe you already had traditional meatballs, so now, you want to vary your protein source by using chicken.)
They are packed with veggies like tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos.
Adding beans helps the meat mixture stretch further while amping up the fiber and providing some plant-based protein.
Topping with fresh herbs like cilantro and green onion provides you with inflammation-fighting compounds and lots of flavors!
Using salsa for extra flavor is a great low-calorie option.
Cotija cheese is SUPER strong, and you can use way less than other types of cheeses for more flavor.
The Right Taco Shell
Using the right taco shell is a key factor to keep these tacos on the “healthy side.” Luckily, nowadays, you have a thousand options for healthy whole grain or grain-free tortillas without having to make your own. Great options are 100% whole wheat, corn, or grain-free options like Siete’s almond flour or chickpea tortillas. Siete is what you see in my photos. We recently scored a whole bunch of them at Costco!
Don’t skip the charring step on the tortillas! It’s essential to bring out the flavor and make-at-home taco night feel like you went out to a restaurant. However, if you have a large family and don’t want to spend six years charring each individual tortilla for the minions, I suggest at least warming them in the oven. Wrap a stack of 5-6 tortillas in aluminum foil and place in the oven for 350F for 15 minutes. Alternatively, wrap them in a wet paper towel and microwave them for 30-45 seconds.
Serve these tacos with :
Healthy Chicken Tacos
- large non-stick skillet with lid
Chicken Taco Meat Recipe
Chicken Taco Meat Instructions
- Saute onions and jalapeno in oil on medium in a large non-stick skillet until translucent and tender, about 3-5 minutes.1 tbsp avocado oil, 1 yellow onion, 1 jalapeno, deseeded, deveined
- Add chicken and taco seasoning, cook for 8-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.1 lb ground chicken, 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- Add diced tomatoes in and 1/4 cup water. Stir well. Place the lid on and let simmer for at least 5 minutes. If meat sticks to the bottom of the pan, add more water.1 can diced tomatoes
- Rinse and drain black beans, stir into the meat and serve! Alternatively, you can keep the beans separate.1 can black beans
- Finish with a sprits of lime juice! About a teaspoon of lime juice or the juice of half of a lime.
Healthy Chicken Tacos
- Brown each tortilla for a few minutes on each side on medium-low in an oiled skillet. Then, fill each taco with 1/12 chicken taco meat, 2 tablespoons black beans, 1 tablespoon shredded lettuce, 1 tablespoon cheese, 1/2 tablespoon cilantro, 1/2 tablespoon green onion, 1 tablespoon salsa, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon guac.