Oven “Fried” Chicken Taquitos are a healthy twist on your favorite Mexican Food appetizer, save tons of calories by baking instead of frying! Gluten Free
How to Make Oven-Fried Taquitos (1 Minute Video)
First up, thank you so much for all your kind comments yesterday, it is good to know that so many of you understand what I’m going through. Your support means the world to me.
I understand if you are mad, it’s okay, I know you still love me. Wings are coming next week, I promise, but today I’ve got something just as spectacular…. oven baked chicken taquitos! I mean who could say no to these right?
This is actually a very old Hungry Hobby recipe, circa de 2014 when I had two readers and took photos with my crappy cell phone. Pretty sure it wasn’t even an iPhone!
Trust me, the photos desperately needed updating! Besides, Mexican food is hands down my favorite food, any time any place I LOVE Mexican food. Luckily for me, it is also one of the easiest foods to health-a-fy.
If you love Mexican food as much as I do, definitely check out this roundup of healthy Mexican food I put together for Cinco De Mayo. It has over 30 healthier Mexican food meals to satisfy any craving, anytime!
Now back to this super bomb taquito recipe which takes your typical taquito calorie bomb and lightens it up by using chicken and baking instead of deep frying the taquitos. I also snuck in a few veggies, but I promise you won’t’ taste them! Way healthier than a restaurant version or frozen food, but still just as crunchy and delicious.
The bonus is, I was surprised at how easy this all came together. I thought it would be labor intensive with the rolling of the taquitos but the whole thing was ready in about 35 minutes!
What are your plans this weekend? My – shoulder, rib, back whatever it is, is feeling better. I went to the chiropractor yesterday and then didn’t do ANYTHING, I didn’t even walk the dog. Hoping that helps kick it. I think rib things just take a while to work themselves out, lucky me.
Also, Mr. Hungry has plans to deep clean the house, double lucky me. I’ll let him deep clean while I organize stuff, we make a good team that way!
Oven Fried Chicken Taquitos
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Oven Fried Chicken Taquitos
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with foil, grease with oil or cooking spray
- Shred Zucchini using the large holes of a box grater, squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel (should have 2 cups.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, ground chicken, chili powder, onions, cumin and salt. to pan and cook, stirring until the chicken is cooked through 8-10 minutes.
- Spread tortillas out on a baking sheet in two overlapping rows. Bake until hot, about 2 minutes, transfer to a plate and cover.
- Line the baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (for easier clean up) and coat with cooking spray. Place 6 tortillas on a clean cutting board or extra pan. Working quickly, spread a generous ¼ cup chicken mixture along the bottom third of a tortilla, sprinkle with about 1T cheese and tightly roll into a cigar shape.
- Generously coat the top and sides of taquitos with cooking spray. Sprinkle the top with salt, liberally. Bake the taquitos until browned and crispy, 14 to 18 minutes.
- Serve with spicy guacamole!
PSST Want to make healthy eating easier and more convenient than ever? WTE? Meal Plans includes new healthy recipes every week, like taquitos! Yes, a healthy gluten-free meal plan with taquitos, believe it!
Looking for more healthy Mexican food recipes? Check out this AMAZING roundup!
Looking for game day snacks? Check out this roundup of over 50 healthy gluten-free game day snacks!
Or maybe the kids love this recipe and you are looking for healthy kid-friendly recipes?