Hey out there, sorry for the blog silence yesterday… we were packing! I feel like we barely made a dent and we are moving Saturday… man it’s going to be a busy weekend but all worth it in the end. This week I took a look at the Whole Foods App I downloaded a while back, I was actually really impressed with the massive amount of recipes and features they’ve added since the last time I looked at it. Check it out:
When this app first came out I found the multiple different ways you could look for recipes kind of overwhelming, however now it seems they’ve made a few tweaks which make it super user friendly. For instance you can search by course type or diet pattern.
Once you find a recipe you like you can easily save it to your box, I found a lot I definitely want to try, especially those carrot cake pancakes!
Another REALLY neat feature is the “on hand” function which allows you search recipes based on one to three ingredients you have “on hand”:
The guides include both healthy eating and budget friendly and both are very impressive… now if only they were combined to make healthy eating on a budget! However that isn’t really necessary because I thought the budget friendly recipes were just as healthy as the healthy eating guide recipes so its all helpful and good.
– shopping list allows you to build and check off a shopping list by manual entry, from a recipe, or from sale items
– sale flyers help you keep track of what is on sale at your local store and add it to your shopping list if desired
– store locator helps you locate a store near you
- beautiful food photography
- easy to follow recipes and instructions
- ratings from others who have tried the recipe
- very user friendly
- easily customizable for diet pattern or budget
- easy saving capabilities
- helps you budget
- some recipes don’t have photos
- tons of recipes can be overwhelming if you aren’t searching for something specific
- some recipes are a bit complicated for those just starting to cook
- not all the recipes are guaranteed healthy
- personally I would like to see a soy and nut free option for those with allergies or intolerances (but that isn’t much of a con, more of a request)
Overall this app gets an RD score of 5 out of 5 because it has so much going for it from budget friendly, to personalization capabilities, to making shopping easier and tons of healthy recipes with beautiful photography. Just another reason to be obsessed with Whole Foods! I’ll be packing, moving, and unpacking all weekend but hopefully it will be the last time for a very long time! Happy Friday have a great one everyone!
Past Healthy iPhone App Reviews:
- Food Holiday & Foodie TV —-> Fun Apps for Bloggers and Foodies!
- Seafood Watch—> shopping guide for seafood
- UM Skin Check —-> skin cancer prevention
- “Fast Food,” “Fast Food Nutrition, Calories, Carbs” & “Under 600” —-> restaurant nutrition facts
- Harvest & Seasons—-> Shopping guides for produce
- Foam Roller—-> foam rolling techniques
- Dirty Dozen—-> shopping guide for produce
- Whole Pantry—-> plant based recipes
- Motion X 24/7—-> pedometer, sleep, heart rate, and weight tracker