Apple Cinnamon Crockpot Steel Cut Oats are creamy, hearty, and easily prepared to feed the whole family or meal prep for the week! Gluten Free & Vegan
Hi, Friends! In honor of our EAT RED week, I moved a few things around and decided to share this recipe packed with apple with you!
A few weeks ago I made a batch of steel cut oats in the crockpot which I had never done before, but we were out of regular oats so I figured I’d give it a try. I’ve heard horror stories of oatmeal getting burnt to the site of the crockpot and ruined batches of oatmeal, but it was actually really easy ! I assumed Mr. Hungry would eat them cold but to my surprise, he decided to heat them up when he got to work! After months of eating creamy cold overnight oats and chia puddings, he loved the feeling of eating a hot breakfast.
Even though it is still a billion degrees out in the afternoons right now, it is FINALLY starting to cool down in the mornings. This means before we know it we will all be craving warm comforting breakfast items.
This is the perfect winter breakfast that you can use for meal prep or to feed the whole fam! I added 1 can of coconut milk in with the water so it would be creamier and to make it more filling!
- 1.5 cup steel cut oats (I used quick-cooking)
- 2 chopped apples (I used Gala)
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (adds healthy fat and creaminess!)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Optional add-ins after cooking: nut butter, protein powder
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3-4 hours. Stir ever 45 minutes to an hour.
- For meal prep divide among 5-6 mason jars or other air tight containers, add in desired add-ins and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
I ended up adding a scoop of collagen and a spoonful of Nuttzo to each one of Mr. Hungry’s jars to help round out the meal a little and make it more filling. He said he was full till lunch no problem and I got another text telling me the oatmeal was AMAZING. Apparently, I am the queen of oatmeal recipes, at least in his world. Good thing too because this was SUPER easy!
Looking for more oatmeal recipes? Check out some of my favorite combinations or more ideas check out the recipe index!
- Blueberry Cottage Cheese Oats
- Coconut Cream Protein Oats
- Chocolate Protein Oats
- Angelfood Cake Overnight Oats
- Berry Blast Overnight Oats