These 20 Minute Air Fryer Fish Tacos are easy to make, no breading required, and are paired with slaw and creamy chipotle sauce for the win!
Hi, friends! Remember the other day when I posted my chipotle sauce for fish tacos? I promised you the recipe for Air Fryer Fish Tacos, and after many painstaking rounds of testing, today I finally bring you the recipe! I really took one for the team making and eating fish tacos so many times in a row to get this perfect, but it was worth it because these are freaking DELICIOUS! (***wink, wink)
I can’t tell you how many times my husband asked me about getting an air fryer before we purchased one. I hadn’t heard great things. I’d heard they were greasy, smelled terrible, and weren’t actually a very healthy cooking method. Ugh. None of that is true.
Although the air fryer has come a long way in terms of ease of use and cleaning, I kick myself not being an early adapter. Although, I rarely adapt to anything early. I’m more the go-kicking and screaming latest adopter possible type person. I’m in line right before your 90-year-old Grandma to try something new. It took me four years to buy a pair of skinny jeans, and now I hear they are out of style, so I’m screwed. I digress.
I’ve been making salmon in the Air Fryer for a while now. So, I figured I’d adapt the salmon I’d been making into fish tacos. But, what I didn’t account for the first time I tried to make these tacos was how much more salty white fish like mahi-mahi and cod is compared to salmon. After a few tweaks, I got the perfect easy spice blend that compliments my chipotle sauce for fish tacos PERFECTLY.
How to Make Air Fryer Fish Tacos
Similar to my Air Fryer Chicken Tenders (without breading), all you need to do is rub your spices on and plop those bad boys in the air fryer so they can crisp up! I didn’t even flip my pieces of fish. That’s how easy it is!
You may notice my red air fryer insert. My Instant Pot Vortex looks like it’s been in battle. All the non-stick coating is gone, which isn’t great for cooking and health reasons. I found this insert on Amazon made from 100% food-grade silicone and have been using it for a few months now. Cheaper than replacing the whole air fryer, that’s for sure.
SWAPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS AIR FRYER FISH TACOS
You can sub spices as you please. Just note that this will change the taste of the final product.
Ground Chipotle Peppers: Ground chipotle peppers taste like cayenne pepper but are more smokey. It’s a very hot spice, though, so use sparingly. Feel free to sub cayenne pepper as well.
Paprika – I like sweet paprika for seafood, but you could use regular or smoked. It doesn’t make that big of a difference.
What Types of Fish Should You Use for Air Fryer Fish Tacos?
I’ve tested this recipe using both mahi-mahi and cod. I generally like mahi-mahi better, so it’s no surprise that I liked the mahi-mahi tacos slightly better than the cod. But, honestly, both were delicious.
Mahi Mahi – prepare following directions in the recipe card.
Cod – depending on the thickness of the fillets, you may want to cut them in half lengthways to make each fillet thinner. Aim for no more than an inch thickness.
Tilapia – this fish is generally thinner and more delicate than the above options. Reduce cooking time to 10-12 minutes.
After your fish is cooked, you will assemble your tacos. I added some tri-color coleslaw mix and topped it with my chipotle sauce for fish tacos. You could also mix your chipotle sauce with the coleslaw for a less messy final product. Either way will be delicious, though! If you don’t want to make your sauce, you could use pre-made guac or salsa. Either way, these tacos will be delicious!
Freezing and Storing
Storing: You can coat the fish in seasoning up to 24 hours ahead of time, in case that helps your meal prep plans! Otherwise, once the fish is cooked, it will store for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Reheat: I like to use the reheat function on my air fryer to reheat these! I put the fish in cold and set the reheat temp to 280F for 10 minutes. They are perfectly crisp and reheated throughout when they come out!
MORE FUN AIR FRYER RECIPES TO TRY
- Air Fryer Tortilla Strips
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Air Fryer Sweet and Spicy Dry Rub Wings
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders without Breading
- Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts No Breading
- Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma
- Air Fryer Turmeric Cauliflower
20 Minute Air Fryer Fish Tacos with Creamy Chipotle Slaw
- Preheat air fryer to 375F.
- Pat fish dry with a paper towel. Combine seasonings in a small bowl and then rub on fish evenly.2 lbs any white fish, 1 tbsp sweet paprika, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground chipotle peppers, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp ground thyme, 1/4 tsp salt
- Put fish in the air fryer and cook for 14-16 minutes until flaky and cooked throughout, do not flip fish.
- While fish is cooking, whip up a batch of chipotle sauce for fish tacos! Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender, then mix with tri-color coleslaw.1/3 cup avocado oil mayo, 2 tbsp plain yogurt or cashew yogurt, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1/4 cup cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, 2 cups coleslaw mix
- Assemble tacos with 1/4 cup creamy chipotle slaw and 1/3-1/2 fish fillet in chunks. Enjoy!8 corn tortillas