Yet another wonderful use for your air fryer! Healthy super quick air fryer tortilla strips to use on salads, soups, or eat like chips!
My Air Fryer wasn’t as much of an impulse purchase as my Instant Pot was. For the Air Fryer, I had a purpose in mind – use that giant bag of frozen green beans from Costco in my freezer. After a few hiccups with different Air Fryers brands, I’m now pleasantly happy with my Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer and pleasantly surprised at how many uses I find for it all the time.
Sweet and Spicy Air Fryer wings and Air Fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi are among my favorites for sure, as are many recipes out of the Skinnytaste cookbook and cooking frozen stuff like green beans, chicken nuggets, fish sticks, fries, etc. And don’t forget to reheat yesterday’s leftover fries, so they are as crisp as when you first got them! Yes! But, last week, I threw some corn tortillas in my air fryer to make a topping for a queso chili soup I made, and I was yet again impressed at the versatility of this machine.
In just a few short minutes, 6-8 minutes to be exact, I had crunchy salty tortilla strips that took my soup from okay to WOW. Typically, when I make tortilla strips, I bake them in the oven. Although you can make twice as much, it also takes twice as long that way. I definitely prefer them in AF over baking them in the oven, plus the result is a bit more even-textured in the air fryer. I used white corn tortillas, but after making these a few more times to test, because I knew I want to share with you, the yellow corn has a less brown more crispy golden color to them when they are done. You can totally use either, though!
Could I have used tortilla chips as a crunchy topping in my soup? Well, ya, but chips don’t have the same effect when you stir them around in your soup. They get soggy fast. These do not!
I can think of so many uses for these crispy golden heaven strips, like toppers for salad, soups, or a healthy chip to eat straight out of the bag! I might have eaten several of my test rounds by myself, just like a chip!
For the most traditional seasoning, you can use salt. However, you can also be super adventurous! In one batch, I used my chile-lime seasoning from TJ’s, and it was DELICIOUS! It wasn’t pretty, so I didn’t get a picture, plus I burned that batch (#notpayingattention) but, they were yummy none of the less. Highly suggest giving that one a whirl!
Air Fryer Tortilla Strips
- Preheat air fryer to 375F. Cut tortillas into 1/4 inch strips.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer with cooking spray. Add tortilla strips and spray with oil again, toss to coat evenly.
- Sprinkle with salt and toss again.
- Set air fryer for 4-6 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through.
- If tortillas haven't reached desired crispiness level, set for another 1 minute shaking the basket halfway through.
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Quesadilla
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Gnocchi
- Air Fryer Sweet and Spicy Dry Rub Wings
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
- Healthy Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders (No Breading)
- Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Thighs
- 20 Minute Air Fryer Fish Tacos
- Air Fryer Chicken Shawarma
- Air Fryer Turmeric Cauliflower
Try these tortilla strips with:
- Instant Pot Tortilla Soup
- Slow Cooker Tortilla Soup
- Paleo Taco Salad (sub strips for plantain chips)