Did you know that Starbucks Spinach Feta Egg White Wraps are just reheated from frozen? Make your own to freeze and have them as a quick breakfast option!
FYI this post is an old recipe from 2013 that I’m updating today! Enjoy!
You guys, I’m on a SERIOUS stock the freezer kick right now. When my registry said we had 90 days to go, I decided I can now start stocking the freezer with food for when the baby comes. My plan is to prep and freeze two extra meals a week from now until the baby comes. That will give us about 24 meals ready ahead of time. (Update: I did it, and it was amazing, see my Freezer Meals for New Moms Post here!)
I think that’s plenty, but I’m sure that Mr. Hungry will want to use some of these for his lunches when he goes back to work (right now it’s looking like he can take 1-2 weeks PTO)
So I should probably do three. I don’t know if I have room in my freezer for that though, that is an intense amount of meals. Some of these meals will be pre-cooked, but the majority of them will be ready to cook.
AKA they’ve been prepped so I can pull them out of the freezer the day before and defrost, then cook them. I think in general, freezer food taste better that way. I’m keeping notes of what I’m testing and trying to share on IG stories, but let me know if you guys have questions/suggestions!
So, anyways these breakfast wraps are an old HH recipe that needed a serious photo update. I love love love Starbucks Spinach Feta Breakfast Wraps, hands down my favorite quick breakfast item. The thing is that Starbucks doesn’t “make” any food on site, its all brought in… and their breakfast items are frozen, and I’m stilling paying how much for one? Nope, this was to be my next freezer project!
I wanted as close to the REAL thing as possible, so I looked up the ingredients on the actual Starbucks website. A couple of key things stood out to me: roasted red peppers and sun-dried tomato cream cheese spread. Eureka! I made a list and headed off to TJ’s because they are the one place I know I can get jarred roasted red peppers that taste great!
To make the burritos, I sauteed down a bunch of spinach, made mini omelets, and filled each burrito with the ingredients.
I wrapped each one in saran wrap as I went and placed it directly in the freezer!
For the ones we wanted to eat right away, because you know I had to eat one right away, I browned each side of the burrito to help keep it closed. You don’t need to do this with the frozen burrito because I find it does a great job staying shut after being frozen.
DIY Make Ahead Starbucks Feta Wraps
- Pull tortillas out of the fridge for 15 minutes before you start, or microwave them for 10 seconds each (otherwise whole-grain tortillas tend to break when rolling them up.)
- Sauté 10 cups of fresh spinach sprinkled with garlic salt in a greased medium in a nonstick pan until wilted.
- In a small skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook 1/3 cup egg whites at a time making thin omelets. You’ll repeat the process six times.
- Spread two tablespoons of cream cheese across each tortilla. Assemble your burritos, add to the center of each tortilla: 1/6 of spinach mixture, one tablespoon chopped roasted red peppers, one mini egg white omelet, two tablespoons feta cheese, and one tbsp sundried tomato. One trick I found that worked well was to place the omelet in the center, all the other ingredients in it, then fold it over before rolling the burrito.
- Roll your burritos and then wrap them in parchment paper. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- They are delicious as is, and you can reheat them using the microwave at this point, but I do like to crisp them on a pan before serving. Crisping them makes them more similar to the Starbucks version. To crisp them, spray your pan with cooking oil and heat the burrito on medium-high until golden brown crisp forms on each side (about 1-2 minutes per side).
- FREEZER TIP: Wait till all ingredients are cool before rolling burritos. This will prevent excess moisture from getting trapped. Roll up the burrito directly on your parchment paper and then roll the parchment paper around the burrito. Date and place in the freezer immediately. If you are going to eat your burrito right then, I suggest rolling it and setting it on one of your greased skillets to brown each side and help it stay together.
To Serve From Frozen:
- Microwave burrito wrapped in a paper towel for 2-4 minutes or until everything is hot and steaming! It's best to flip the burrito halfway through cooking. If you like, you can brown it at this point on the skillet or just eat up. I find that once the burritos have been frozen, they stick together nicely and don’t need to be browned unless you want a little crunch!
Want to make healthy eating easier? Me too! That’s why I started What to Eat? Meal Plans! These balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans are designed to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes like this one! Learn More and Sign Up!
Looking for more healthy & portable breakfast ideas?
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later and follow @hungryhobby on Pinterest for more healthy recipes, quick workouts, and nutrition tips!