Happy Halloween everyone! I LOVE Halloween not because I love all things scary, quite the opposite actually, I don’t do scary. Instead, it reminds me of my grandma who after having her ONE beer of the year would throw a sheet over her head and pretend to be a ghost. I wish I could show you a picture, it was hilarious! Since yesterday I forgot to take pictures of a couple of my meals we will move onto today and I can finally share the Pumpkin Apple Quinoa Bar recipe with you! Sound Good? I thought so. You can make it as a healthy recovery from the sugar toxicity that will occur tonight.
• ½ cup pureed canned pumpkin
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp pumpkin piee spice
• 1/3 c Peanut Butter
• ¼ c honey
• 1/3 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk (could use any milk)
• 1 cup grated apples (about 1 apple grated squeezed to remove excess moisture)
• 1 egg, whisked
• ½ c whole wheat flour (or chickpea flour if GF)
• 1 c cooked quinoa
• 1 c rolled old fashion oats
• 1 tsp baking soda
• ¼c chopped walnuts, or other
• ¼c dried fruit, if desired
1. Combine pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, honey and peanut butter.
2. Next add in almond milk, baking soda, grated apples, egg, flour, quinoa, oats and nuts/dried fruit (if desired).
3. Spoon into a greased 8×8 pan and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. (I know they are done when I touch the center and it has a slight spring to it-I know very professional…. They should be darker than a golden brown, but not very much darker.)
4. Let cool completely (at least 30 minutes) then cut into bars (6-8).
5. Store in refrigerator. Eat warm or cold, they are super sweet so I usually top mine with something like jam or sun butter, pumpkin butter would be amazing too!
This morning started off with a half of a bar topped with sun butter.
And another attempt at going to the gym, I told you it was going to be impossible to stay off my foot. I was planning on going to do the elliptical but I could kind of feel a little discomfort on the top of my foot still so I kicked off my shoes and did another plank workout. It looked similar to this one from my pinterest workout board. All these elbow planks have me kind of skinned up… note to self do them on a yoga mat not your carpet to avoid rug burn. That’ll be nice for the wedding.
The rest of my ab workout was promptly interrupted by workers and wedding stuff which is why I like to workout in the morning. Oh well tis life. I followed up with a beloved pumpkin green protein smoothie and a shower because the smoothie made me cold and I was sweaty!
Heading over to the future in-laws tonight to pass out candy and more wedding planning details, hope you have a great and safe night!