A healthy low carb grain free, gluten free banana bread recipe with a coconut almond twist! An easy breakfast or on the go snack! Freezer Friendly!
Hi, friends! Today I’m updating a recipe originally shared in 2014! It was ready for a photo refresh, and I was ready for an excuse to make it again. Plus I froze half for “maternity leave” so double win on my part! If you haven’t made this one yet, definitely give it a try!
It’s funny to me because in the original post with this recipe, I talked a ton about how many times I failed with paleo/gluten-free baking. Almost four years later and it finally feels like second nature.
In fact, if you asked me to bake with regular flour, I would want to break down and cry. A) Because of all the hormones. B) Because I’m so used to working with high protein high-fat flours like almond flour and coconut flour.
The health benefit to baking with these flours is that due to their increased fiber and healthy fats content, they are thought to be more filling and have a less impact on blood sugar than higher carbohydrate grain-based flours. Steady blood sugar = sustained energy!
Based on some reader comments I upped the number of bananas and amount of shredded coconut in this recipe so that the flavors would be more pronounced. The result was moist, sweet banana bread with a hint of coconut. I already ate half of it; the real key will be saving the other half for my maternity leave this fall.
Want a real treat? Spread a bit of butter on a slice and you will be in heaven. Let me know if you try it!A healthy #low carb #grainfree #glutenfree banana bread recipe with a coconut almond twist! An easy #breakfast or on the go #snack! #freezerfriendly #healthy
Coconut Almond Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 9 x 5 bread pan with coconut oil. Or line with parchment paper (I always recommend this for an easier cleanup!)
- Mix mashed banana, eggs, almond butter, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine together almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, coconut sugar, and unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry until just combined DO NOT OVERMIX and pour into bread pan.
- Top bread with banana slices and coconut sugar. Bake for 20 minutes. Add unsweetened shredded coconut to the top and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. Until a toothpick inserted into the very middle of the bread comes out clean and the bread is set.
Want to make healthy eating easier? Me too! That’s why I started What to Eat? Meal Plans! These balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans are designed to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes like this one! Learn More and Sign Up!
Like this recipe? You might also like:
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later and follow @hungryhobby on Pinterest for more healthy recipes, quick workouts, and nutrition tips!