Cheesy cauliflower rice is a creamy, cheesy low carb side dish that can be made in under 10 minutes, a family meal win!
Hello friends! I’m super excited to share this recipe with you today!
I’d seen several of these “cheesy cauliflower rice” recipes floating around, and they looked intriguing. However, all of the recipes I saw were geared toward the keto diet, which meant they had a TON more fat than I would want for a simple healthy side dish. I wanted something I could serve as a side dish that would qualify as a healthy veggie dish for my family. The keto versions are geared toward making a full meal out of the dish to meet the 80% fat goal.
So, I got to playing around in the kitchen, and I’ve made this three times now, so it’s safe to say I’m happy with the result! It tastes like mac and cheese meets a veggie side dish. Creamy, cheesy, and perfect.
Will my two-year-old try it? No, but he doesn’t like mac and cheese anyway. The poor kid was dairy-free until the last six months, so he doesn’t know yet. He will learn the glory of cheese eventually.
In the meantime, you know I love cooking with cauliflower rice, so you didn’t have to twist my arm too much to play around with this recipe. Looking for more cauliflower rice ideas? I have a few:
- Cauliflower rice pizza casserole
- Broccoli and cauliflower rice quiche
- Cauliflower rice crusted frittata.
- Low Carb Paleo Mexican Breakfast Bowls
- Cheesy cauliflower rice and sausage skillet
- Paleo beef & broccoli
Needless to say, I’m a fan. So, let’s jump into how to make this delicious side dish (or throw some chicken and precooked real rice in it and call it a meal!)
How to Make Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
I started healthifying this recipe by doubling the amount of cauliflower rice I saw in other recipes. More veggies, less sauce, and yes, it still tastes DIVINE. I promise it’s freaking DELICIOUS! I used two packages of frozen cauliflower rice, but you can also use fresh. You want to cook it long enough it’s defrosted (if using frozen) and tender.
Cook your cauliflower rice in some oil. I like to use avocado oil. Then, you’ll mix your sauce ingredients in a small bowl. If you use block cream cheese, it doesn’t have to be fully mixed in, just broken up. Once the cauliflower rice is tender, you’ll dump it in the cheese sauce and keep stirring until everything is creamy and cheesy.
Then I stirred in some green onions, topped with cheese and bread crumbs, and broiled for a few minutes. This last step isn’t required, but who doesn’t love a crunchy cheesy golden-brown crust? Another thing missing from the keto recipes, bread crumbs are not allowed for them, so give them all to me!
Wa LAA! Presto change-o, cheesy side veggie-packed side dish-o.
Okay, ya, I’m done with trying to rhyme. I appreciate you putting up with that previous sentence. Now go make some delicious cheesy cauliflower rice!
Cheesy Cauliflower Rice
- Cook cauliflower rice with oil until defrosted and tender in a large oven-safe skillet (like a cast iron) on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, sour cream, milk, garlic, salt, and pepper into a sauce.
- Add cream sauce and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese to cauliflower rice. Keep stirring until everything is a creamy smooth consistency. Turn oven onto broil.
- Stir in green onions. Turn off the heat and top with the remaining 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and the top is golden brown.