Paleo Cauliflower Rice Crusted Frittata is a healthy low carb breakfast full of veggies, protein, and healthy fat to keep you full all morning long! Can be easily made ahead for the long week for one person, or feed a family!
Hi Friends! Get excited because today I’ve got another major breakfast win to share with you!
Paleo Cauliflower Rice Crusted Frittata
I’m going through an another serious egg phase. I think I’ve mentioned before how whenever I get on the eggs every day train, I usually end up making some sort of quiche because it’s just so easy to get a serving of veggies in and you don’t have to clean the pan more than once. It’s funny, people often say things to me like “you must love to cook and clean if you have a food blog” when in reality, its kind of the opposite. In all honesty, I don’t LOVE cooking, I like it, but really it’s a means to an end to eat something healthy and delicious (the part I actually love). If we are still being real, I freaking HATE cleaning and I’ll do just about anything to avoid it. Hence the reason I spend more time then most food prepping, I’d rather create one giant mess to clean up instead of a bunch of mini messes. So…. three days in of dirtying the pan every morning to make breakfast eggs and that was enough of that, frittata time!
I had a bag of fresh cauliflower rice from Trader Joe’s that really needed to be used so I figured I’d make a crust out of it! You can make your own cauliflower rice by using the shredding attachment on a food processor, but if you are like me and hate clean up, save your sanity and get a bag of fresh or frozen cauliflower rice from your local TJ’s. Trust me on that one.
Cauliflower is such an awesome veggie to cook with, I’ve always found it adds an unmatchable depth of favorable and great texture. In this crust it ended up mimicking the texture of hash browns, which is a total low carb win! I looked forward to having it every morning and with a few slices of avocado it held me over all morning. However, if you need some carbs in the AM feel free to wrap this in a whole grain tortilla like my zucchini quiche breakfast quesadilla or add a side of your favorite healthy carb. Make this and make it your own, do your thing!
Bake to frittatas, I immensely appreciate the one pan clean up they offer (Light BLT Frittata, Leek and Asparagus Frittata, & Skinny Tomato Zucchini Frittata) but up until now I’ve always baked them in a cast iron skillet which takes about the same amount of time as a quiche. I finally figured out how to expedite the process even further with the following formula: sauce veggies 1-2 minutes, add egg mixture let set 5 minutes on the burner and 5 minutes under the broiler, I vow to never bake another frittata again. Okay maybe not never, but good to know there is a faster option for when I’m HUNGRY like I was when I made this paleo cauliflower rice frittata.
If you are looking for more make ahead, veggie packed, delicious egg recipes try one of these!
- Southwest Cottage Cheese Egg Muffins (gluten free)
- Black Forest Turkey Wrapped Egg Cups (paleo- gluten, grain, and dairy free)
- Mini Pizza Quinoa Quiches (gluten free)
- Bacon Zucchini Quiche (gluten free)
- 16 ounces fresh cauliflower rice (or 2 medium/1 large head of cauliflower)
- 2T Avocado Oil
- 2 cups egg whites
- 4 medium eggs (large is fine too)
- sprinkle garlic salt
- sprinkle garlic powder
- sprinkle black pepper
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Shred cauliflower rice if not using pre-riced bag.
- Add cauliflower rice and sprinkle of garlic salt (no more than 1/4tsp) to skillet and saute in oil on medium high for 3-4 minutes in a OVEN SAFE SKILLET, until tender.
- Meanwhile whisk eggs and remaining seasonings in a bowl.
- Pour eggs over cauliflower and let set 5-7 minutes.
- Once eggs are almost set place in broiler for 5-7 minutes or until complete firm (set.)
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving!
For 1/4 of frittata: