This strawberry blueberry crisp is a healthy gluten-free fun summer dessert filled with warm bursting berries under a golden brown sweet buttery crust.
I don’t care if it’s 120 out. I LOVE summer.
I had a few summers there where the heat was not my friend, but now that I have a little tyke, summers are the glory days once again. Swimming, sprinklers, and delicious food. Plus, KJ is so tired from swimming he goes to bed 30 minutes earlier, bring ON the summer! Talk to me again in October when it’s still 100 out, and I’ll probably be singing a different tune, for now, though, I’ll enjoy it.
For us, summer started with our first swim in April, but, for many of you, it’s just beginning to warm up, and this Memorial Day weekend will be the kick-off to summer!
My gluten-free apple crisp with oatmeal topping is hands down my favorite winter dessert, so I thought I’d try to make a strawberry blueberry crisp to enjoy this summer! Berries are at their peak ripeness is the summer, and what’s better than warm berries with a sweet buttery crust and creamy vanilla ice cream? Nothing!
Since Memorial Day is this weekend, I thought it would be fun to top this crisp similar to how I topped my No-Bake Red, White, and Blue Flag Cookie Bars from last summer.
You don’t have to top yours like that, you can leave it bare, but if you know anything about me you know that my favorite things are frosting, country music, and America themed anything. KJ’s summer clothes are all American themed t-shirts, tank tops, and matching shorts because he’s 18-months old and doesn’t now to argue with me about clothes, yet. It’s glorious.
He did argue with me on trying this crisp, though. He is in the won’t touch new foods with a ten-foot pool stage, which, when it comes to this crisp, was perfectly fine with me. More for Mr. Hungry and I! Good thing it’s easy to make so we can make as much as we want this summer!
How to Make Strawberry-Blueberry Crisp
Just mix your berries with some sugar and starch, then place in your pan. I used this weird rustic 10 x 6 pan I have that I also use to make all flag-related desserts, but you can use a square pan, and it will be fine. You can always add more berries if you need more to fill your pan!
Then you mix up your crust and layer that on top. Bake, then broil for 60 seconds, then enjoy! It’s as simple as that! Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream to serve it up with, it’s a must-have, in my opinion.
Strawberry Blueberry Crisp
For the filling:
- 3 cups strawberries frozen or fresh
- 3 cups blueberries frozen or fresh
- 3 tbsp corn starch or tapioca flour for grain-free
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a casserole dish with butter or ghee. Mine is a weird "flag" size of 10 x 6, whatever you have as close to that will work like a square 8 or 10-inch pan.
- Mix berries with sugar and starch then place them in the bottom of the pan.
- Mix all of the topping ingredients. Once the topping ingredients are well combined. Spread the topping over the top of the apples.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes then broil for 1-2 minutes or until the topping is golden brown. DO NOT OVERBOIL OR IT WILL BURN! Watch it like a hawk when it's under the broiler! DO NOT WALK AWAY