Last nights dinner was amazing and pretty easy to whip together.
Inspired by Rachel Ray’s Tortilla Crusted Asparagus and Goat Cheese Quiche.
• 4 6-inch whole wheat low carb tortillas (I used La Tortilla Factory)
• 10 asparagus stalks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
• 1/2 red onion small red onion or ¼ large, chopped
• 1 Leek, chopped
• 1 cup fresh spinach
• 1 large or 2 small roma tomatoes
• 3 ounces goat cheese
• 5-6 ounces of frozen medium tail off precooked
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease your pie pan with canola oil spray then add four tortillas to the bottom.
I used La Tortilla Factory small tortillas. (You could use brown rice tortillas to for GF.)
2. Steam your asparagus for five minutes (I just did it in the microwave).
3. Meanwhile sauté your red onion and leeks for about 1-2 minutes. Then add the frozen shrimp and sauté until just defrosted. (Note when the shrimp were barely defrosted I used my kitchen sheers to chop them up, but you can leave them whole if you want. Or, you can defrost them first then chop them, and not sauté them at all.) Add spinach and sauté for one minute.
4. Add onion, leek, spinach, shrimp mix into tortilla crust.
Add asparagus and chopped tomatoes.
5. Crumble goat cheese over the top.
6. Mix 3 eggs and ½ cup yogurt in small bowl. Pour egg mixture into pie pan. (It will look and feel like there are not enough eggs but there are.)
7. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, let stand 10 minutes. Enjoy!
*Note if you have a goat cheese hater in the house you could easily substitute crumbled feta in place of goat cheese. I’ve made this version before too, and it was delicious.
Makes a great leftover breakfast or lunch too! Have a great day everyone!