These (almost) five-ingredient pumpkin seed bars are full of wholesome ingredients & they are super easy to whip up! The perfect salty-sweet anytime snack or breakfast!
Happy Monday friends! How was your weekend? What did you do with yourself in the first real non-holiday weekend? Did you take down your Christmas decorations?
We did and we were literally the only ones on the block with a real Christmas tree for pick up. We should probably get on the artificial tree train, but they are like all pre-lit now, which I’ve heard nothing but nightmares about.
Oh well, no worries till next year right? One thing at a time, let’s get through January strong! These bars are definitely one way to do that! I started the five-ingredient recipe train yesterday, and I’m still rolling with it today (well almost)!
Shout out to Pumpkin Seed Health Warrior Bars (affiliate link) that were the inspiration for this recipe. Someone asked me if I thought those bars would work for seed cycling, which was EXACTLY how I was using them.
I was eating a half or to a full bar a day to get in all my pumpkin seeds to support my luteal phase. (See Seed Cycling & Making Your Hormones Work For You) The ingredients were so minimal I figured I try and whip up my own, and that’s exactly what I did in just FIVE ingredients, okay six but I’m not counting salt. That’s optional anyway, or to taste, so there!
These bars were everything I wanted them to be. If you eat them directly from the fridge they are are a bit harder but still chewy. If I throw one in my purse and eat it while I’m out running errands, they are chewier but still stick together nicely.
The worst is when you make a homemade granola bar and it doesn’t stick together or it’s like biting into a rock. I’ve been storing mine in the fridge but technically all the ingredients are shelf stable so you don’t have too.
5 Ingredient Pumpkin Seed Bars
[clickToTweet tweet=”These five-ingredient pumpkin seed bars are salty, sweet, and full of wholesome ingredients! ” quote=”These five-ingredient pumpkin seed bars are salty, sweet, and full of wholesome ingredients! “]
5 Ingredient Pumpkin Seed Bars
These five-ingredient pumpkin seed bars are full of wholesome ingredients & they are super easy to whip up! The perfect salty-sweet anytime snack or breakfast!
- Preheat oven to 350F, line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper and grease it with cooking spray or oil.
- If you aren’t using pre-ground oat flour, just add ½ cup to a food processor and grind for 1-3 minutes until a flour forms. It doesn’t have to be super fine, BUT you don’t want to see any visible oat flakes either.
- Combine oat flour, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, salt, honey, and coconut oil in a bowl. Mix until the mixture is well combined.
- Add the mixture to the pan and press down with the back side of a clean spoon. It may help to oil the back of the spoon. Compact it lightly but not so much that you hear the seeds crunching. It will seem kind of “loose-ish” but that’s fine as long as you pushed it down.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly golden brown, remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes. Once its cool enough to handle, place it in the refrigerator for one hour.
- After one hour you can remove the mixture from the pan by lifting up the parchment paper. Now you can cut it into bars and store in an airtight container or plastic bag. I find that these bars are a little tough straight out of the fridge but I eat them that way. However, if I throw one in my purse to eat while I’m out it is chewier! Either way is delicious!
*salt is not required but I do think it compliments the pumpkin seeds nicely
*cinnamon is to taste - some people like more or less, make it your own!
** IMPORTANT: Do not sub any other type of oil, the coconut oil has special properties which will keep the bars together!
Ultimate Superfood Granola Bars (Vegan)