Mini Pizza Quinoa Quiches
This recipe is very similar to my Mini Pizza Quinoa Bites (click —>here for recipe) but with more eggs and onions so this version is a bit more quiche like. I brought them to my in laws for the Super Bowl along with Spicy Goat Cheese Marinara (click —-> here for recipe). They taste like pizza, are gluten free, and covered in cheese so people pretty much loved them.
Then we got to eat the leftovers all week for breakfast and lunch (see my weekly eats post from last week—> here). I’ve been obsessed with quinoa for some time now so I’m always surprised by how many people haven’t had it before! If you haven’t had quinoa before you should definitely give it a try, it’s a whole grain which is naturally gluten free and high in protein. It’s also really really really versatile, it makes a good sub for breakfast grains or rice. I’ve made in for breakfast or dinner in sweet (see cinnamon apple quinoa bake and single serving cranberry apple pie quinoa bowl) and savory recipes. Plus it is pretty convenient to make because cooks 30 minutes faster than steel cut oats or brown rice. These quiches are a great place to start, but you can also just try subbing it in one night for brown rice and see how you like it. If it’s your first time purchasing it your probably not ready for the Costco bag, but I do have to say thats the cheapest place I’ve seen it. They have one of the few kinds that are pre-rinsed which is awesome. (90% of the time Quinoa has a coating on it which leaves a bitter taste if not rinsed before use.)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 large eggs
- 1T minced garlic
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese 
- 12T shredded mozzarella
- 1 T Pizza Seasoning (1/4tsp basil, ¼ tsp oregano, ¼ tsp parsley, ¼ tsp majoram)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes (optional)
- Add one cup of uncooked quinoa (rinsed) to one cup water and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once quinoa is done cooking remove from heat and let cool slightly (10 minutes).
- While quinoa is cooling combine all ingredients except quinoa, eggs, and mozzarella in a large bowl.
- Grease a mini muffin tin with oil or cooking spray and preheat oven to 350F.
- Add quinoa and eggs to bowl, mix until just combined.
- Divide mixture evenly in mini muffin tin (24 muffins) and bake for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- When they are done, pull them out of the oven and turn oven up to broil.
- Top each muffin with a tiny bit of cheese (1/2 tablespoon) and place under broiler for 30 seconds. (This is optional, if I made them again just for us I’d probably skip this step because the muffins were awesome even without the additional cheese.)
- Serve immediately with pizza sauce or marinara.
Nutrition Facts (per quiche)
In other news I went for an MRI on my hip/lower back yesterday and check out the awesome shorts I got to wear:
Here is to hoping that the results come back okay! I felt pretty good the last couple days so instead of re-flaring I’ve been taking it extra easy and saying some extra prayers. Now it’s time to go get in my 15 minutes of play time with Missy (via this weeks healthy habits challenge.) I hope everyone has a great day and let me know if you try these out!