So since we decided to do this Sugar Free September thing, I thought it might be fun to chat a bit about how it’s going! If my recap stuff starts to bore you, skip down to Mr. Hungry’s comments because they are HILARIOUS!
September 1st: 2nd Froyo date of the weekend—> hence Sugar Free September idea born
Tues, September 2nd:
- Tons of extra almond milk added to my coffee in place of using stevia
- Double take at Dairy Queen on the drive to work. That cracked me up because I NEVER have cravings for fast food, I’d much prefer frozen yogurt or locally made ice cream. However, this morning I looked twice at Dairy Queen, like I might actually want it at 6:30 in the morning!
- Not sure how I’m going to make it through the day without gum.
- Lots of focus on the idea of sugar free in my head.
- Hungrier than normal (probably because of all the attention I was giving the subject) and more fatigue than normal probably because of the long run on Monday
- frozen fruit, almond butter and banana for dessert (still very hungry)
Wed, September 3rd:
- Started the day with a green smoothie. I did use Formulx Natural Recovery Protein Powder (affiliate link) which does have some xylitol and stevia in it, but I didn’t add any extra stevia to my shake. I used tons of cinnamon and liked it better without the extra stevia!
- Much more normal day, less hungry, less attention to the idea of sugar free.
- Dessert was a spoonful of almond butter
- checked La Tortilla Factory Tortilla’s- no added sugar or sugar substitutes! YES! Thank goodness, I will make it through this.
Thurs, September 4th:
- Looked up ingredient list for feta wrap while I was eating it, yep sugar. Oh well I figured that.
- tempted slightly but not like crazy by tootsie roll bowl at work
- looked up Chipotle ingredients (I get meat, lettuce, salsa and guac salads pretty simple), honey might be used when grilling meat depending on location, decided it was still a better option than the Quest bar/banana combo in my purse
- really really really wanted a piece of gum before yoga (Chipotle made my tummy a little too full), stuck one in my mouth then spit it out without chewing, does that count?
- drank coconut water after hot yoga (it was a hard one!), couldn’t decide if I should count it as sugar? Decided yes, froze the other half of the bottle into coconut water ice cubes for later use!
Fri, September 5th:
- pretty normal day, tired from the gym
- no sugar or artificial sugar intake that I know of (including no gum and none in my coffee)
- made a big dinner complete with a sweet potato to hold off nighttime cravings, strategy worked well!
Mr. Hungry’s Recap
- resisted a custard filled donuts and a muffin, this sucks but it’s not so bad
- wait we are doing no added sugar? I thought we were just avoiding sweets like donuts, cakes, froyo, etc….–> BUT THERE IS SUGAR IN EVERYTHING.
- I can do this, wait, there is sugar in pizza? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO EAT?????
Goals for next week:
– kick the need for having a desert (fruit or otherwise) unless I’m actually hungry