“I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe challenge sponsored by Cabot Creamery and am eligible to win prizes. I was not additionally compensated for my time.”
Hey Friends! Sorry, no post yesterday the day just totally got away from me! By the time I got home at 9 I drank a protein shake and went to bed, super eventful and exciting I know! Today is another busy one, it’s January at the gym and things are hoping!
Really quick I wanted to share with you this Spinach Con Queso can easily be made at home with NO PROCESSED CHEESE! Ever try to google spinach con queso? With a few exceptions it’s always made with Velveeta which although it tastes good, it definitely doesn’t offer the same nutritional benefits of real cheese.
Whenever I go to get-togethers are I always steer toward the most filling and delicious foods like veggies and dips, meats and cheeses etc. People always have the best dips at their parties, don’t they?
Well, I wanted to join in so I created this recipe where Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and Pepperjack come together to make a restaurant quality dip in your own home, NO VELVEETA.
I’ve got to run but let me know if you get a chance to try it!
Spinach Con Queso
- 1 T butter (I used Kerygold)
- 5 tsp flour (all purpose or tapioca or potato)
- 12 ounces 2% milk
- 4 ounces half and half
- 8 ounces cabot seriously sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces cabot pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 T avocado oil
- 1 can RO*TEL tomatoes and green chile
- 8 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- Saute chopped onion and garlic in small pan for 2-3 minutes until translucent and golden on medium. Add in can of tomato/ green chile and let simmer on medium low.
- In a large non stick skillet melt 1T butter on medium low. Whisk 5 tsp starchy flour with 1/2 cup milk and add to pan. Slowly add in remainder of milk and half and half. Whisk constantly for 7-10 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Turn off heat and add in sour cream, garlic, pepper, and pepper jack cheese. Whisk to melt cheese and add in 1/4 cup of cheddar at a time whisking constantly to melt. Continue until all the cheese is added. Add in tomato/onion mix and spinach. Serve immediately or transfer to a fondue pot or crockpot until ready to serve.