Apparently jump roping is NOT like riding a bike, you don’t always remember how. Last night I did this jump rope workout which was KILLER, but I definitely had some issues with the jump rope.
I love when I find a good at home workout that works up a good sweat without requiring a lot of equipment or a drive to the gym.
I don’t like tripping over the jump rope a thousand times and feeling like I can’t do something a 5 year old has no problem with. I think Janet and Presley got a pretty good kick out of my attempts though!
So, I googled some tips on the ins and outs of jump roping and wanted to share what I found:
Benefits of Jump Roping
Wrestler’s have been on to something for a while now using “rope skipping” as a tool to enhance coordination, endurance, agility, quickness and footwork. Check out all the benefits:
1. It’s a well known cardiovascular exercise, you can burn more calories in 10 minutes of jump roping then running a 10 minute mile.
2. It can be used as a form of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which means it increases your heart rate quick so you burn max calories.
3. Done in between sets of strength training it can help increase the calorie burn of the workout.
4. Toning of calves, glutes, shoulders, upper back, and core.
5. Jumping up and down strengthens and stabilizes, preventing future orthopedic problems (like knee and hip issues) and osteoporosis.
6. Jump ropes are cheap and portable, making them a convenient workout tool to stash in any bag!
How to Size a Jump Rope
Apparently this is a crucial step, sizing your jump rope. One site stated its like a bra, underwear, or shoes… size matters. Well okay then…
1. Stand with your foot in the center of the rope.
2. Pull the rope taught with both hands.
3. For beginners hands should be at armpits, for advanced they can be at armpits or below.
Here is a very detailed PDF in case you’re looking for more info.
Links with Jump Roping Tips and Tricks
7 Jump Roping Tips–> this link has a crazy video of a wrestler doing jump roping tricks, its crazy you definitely got to watch it!
Question of the day:
Anyone remember skip it? I kicked butt at that!