Original Post 7/17/14 – photos and content updated 3/24/16
This recipe now has a VIDEO! Scroll down to right above the recipe instructions!
Hi, Friends! Today I’m bringing back an old classic summer dish I published almost a year ago!
This recipe is a staple in my house, it is full of flavor, takes less than 20 minutes to make and is packed with veggies – also known as an all bases loaded home run! Unfortunately, the pictures taken with my iPhone, without editing, in dismal lighting were a total strike out so they were first up in my quest for recipe photo retakes.
I also made a few adjustments to the recipe. I used a bit more ground turkey chorizo to add even more flavor and loaded it up with extra veggies by doubling the zucchini.
Oh, and I might have added extra cheese, which is never a bad thing right? I took out the onion and jalapeno and replaced it with sliced green onion, which makes this recipe even faster than it was before!
From original post –> In addition to being delicious, it’s pretty much impossible to screw up. You literally just add all the ingredients to the skillet and you are done. The other nice aspect is that it has a got options to adjust the recipe to suite any needs.
Gluten-free? No problem use corn tortillas instead of whole wheat.
Dairy free? No problem use Daiya shreds or diced avocado (skip the broiling step.)
The possibilities are endless and the combination is no fail, healthy and delicious. Don’t take my word for it though, if you like enchiladas and quick one pan dishes then definitely give this one a try! If you do try it I’d love to hear what you think!
Bring on the summer with this delicious summer enchilada skillet!
20 Minute Summer Enchilada Skillet
- 1 tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 lb chicken or turkey chorizo
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 4 small zucchini (or two large)
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or use chopped avocado for dairy free)
- 3 green onions sliced
- Saute Chorizo until almost cooked all the way through, about 6-7 minutes. Meanwhile chop your zucchini into quartered pieces. Cut tortillas into 1/2 inch wide pieces.
- Preheat broiler. Add in enchilada sauce, zucchini, and tortillas. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- If using cheese, top the mixture with shredded cheese and place in oven to broil for 3-4 minutes. If not using cheese, top with avocado and serve.