Good Morning Everyone! This morning started at 4:30am for Paul and I, we crawled out of bed without hitting the snooze button and made it to the gym for an intense class complete with pylometrics, weight lifting, and high intensity intervals. Whew, love being done with working out by 6am, check off the workout for the day! So that was this morning but let’s recap yesterday.
I started yesterday with a yummy breakfast of mini broccoli and cheddar egg omelets and 1/2 Costco energy bar with sun butter and strawberries.
I took a study break around 1:30 pm to make some Creamy Hummus Yogurt Dip which I got fancy with and garnished it with paprika and pine nuts.
I used the hummus to make a yummy salad with sliced turkey, mini sweet bell peppers, sun dried tomatoes, and a little feta. It was delicious (although did not photograph well.) I also had a side of grapes (not shown.)
A little while later my tummy was rumbling so I made a pre workout protein shake to hold me over till dinner.
Paul and I had planned a super intense sweaty boot camp workout in small group fitness class. Unfortunately the class ended up being more of a kickboxing tutorial, which was fun but definitely not a sweaty workout. We hit the weights after but I still didn’t feel like I got a good workout in, so thats why we woke up at 5am to work our tails off… and that we did!
When we got home it was pretty late so I threw together one of my favorite super easy and super tasty dinners! Recipe based on my observation of my future Mother in Law making something similar! Thanks Mama Shallal!
Chile Verde Shrimp Saute
– 1 tablespoon canola oil
– 1/2 chopped white onion
– 1 tbsp minced garlic
– 1 jalopeno- finely chopped (seeded and inner stem removed if you prefer less spicy)
– 2 cups frozen bell peppers
– 6 ounces frozen shrimp (TAIL OFF)
– 1 small can or 1/2 large can chile verde sauce (1/2 cup)
1. Saute chopped onions and garlic in canola oil for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant and slightly translucent on medium to medium high.
2. Add in chopped jalapeno and saute for an additional minute.
3. Now add in the frozen bell pepper and saute 2-3 minutes.
4. Then add in the frozen shrimp (as you can see I used tail on, do yourself a favor and use the tail off kind). Saute for an additional minute.
5. Now add in the canned chile verde sauce and let everything jive for 3-4 minutes. I kind of gauge when it is done by letting the water from the frozen veggies and shrimp evaporate and the sauce very slightly thickens up.
6. Serve over brown rice, quinoa, or over low carb tortillas, corn tortillas, or even eat with low fat tortilla chips. Top with cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado, chopped tomatoes…whatever you want!
Quick and healthy that is the name of the game this week! PS I’m also LOVING this pumpkin coffee from TJ’s. Spent all day sipping on it yesterday, it was amazing!