Slow Cooker Version: Gluten Free Minestrone
This Gluten Free Minestrone recipe was handed down at least three generations, it's hearty, filling, and delicious. I included two ways to make it, on the stove top or in the crockpot. It's also totally customizable, add in or take out whatever you like to fit your preferences/dietary needs!
- 2 leeks
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 can red kidney beans rinsed (15 ounce can) - optional omit for paleo
- 3 cubes chicken or vegetable bullion
- 24 ounces tomato sauce (2-3 8 ounce cans)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional - omit for paleo/vegan)
- 5 Italian Sausages (optional- omit for vegan/vegetarian)
Cut off the tough dark green tops of leeks and then cut off the bottom with the roots. Since leeks grow in sand, you need to clean them really well. To do that, cut an "X" all the way through the leek so you can run water on it and get into all the layers. Once clean, slice it horizontally so that you have slices and add it to slow cooker.
Chop onion, carrots, garlic, and potatoes and add to slow cooker.
Rinse and drain kidney beans and add to slow cooker.
Add in 2-3 cans of tomato sauce and 6 cups of water, stir until well combined.
Optional add in ½ cup grated parmesan cheese.
Optional, add in 5 whole sausages. Once they are cooked you will remove them with tongs, cut into bite sizes pieces and return them to the soup.
Set on low for 6-8 hours, done when potatoes are tender.
- For a more broth-based soup add 2 cups additional water, for a thicker soup sub 1 additional can of tomato sauce for 1 cup water.
- Freeze leftover soup for a quick meal next week or whenever you need it!