Roasted Delicata Squash Tian
Roasted Delicata Squash Rings toss with butter (or ghee/coconut oil for dairy free) and savory herbs, roasted to perfection and topped with parmesan cheese!
Servings 6 servings
- 6 Delicata Squash see note*
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee*
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon sage fresh chopped
- ½ teaspoon rosemary fresh chopped
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese shreds or shaved
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- salt to taste
- garnish with fresh thyme if desired
Preheat oven to 400F.
Wash Delicata Squash and dry them. I cut off both ends and then stuck a small spoon inside to scoop out the seeds (from both directions.) Use a mandolin or the slicer of your food processor (unlikely they will fit but if they do) to slice them thin. I have a cheapy mandolin and it worked just fine. Use it on the thickest setting. It’s not super easy to cut them into rings but it isn’t any more difficult than using a mandolin on a raw potato. (If you need a mandoline I linked the more expensive version my MIL has in my Amazon recommendations because she LOVES hers.)
In a large bowl, toss the rings with melted butter, herbs and salt. (I had to break it into two batches.)
Butter the sides and bottom of your pan. Arrange Delicata squash in a cast iron or oven-safe pan (you can use a casserole dish as well, does not need to be a cast iron.)
Top with the desired amount of cheese and place the dish in the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes covered with aluminum foil and then uncover for the last 20 minutes. If you find the tops start to get too browned just put the cover back on. The cover also helps steam them so they get super soft.
Garnish with fresh thyme leaves.
- FOR DELICATA - Purchase them as narrow as possible so they fit in your mandolin! Also purchase a few days ahead, the older they are the easier they will be to cut through with the mandolin.
- Coconut oil will work for dairy free and the parmesan cheese can be omitted.
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 16mg | Sodium: 590mg | Potassium: 1594mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 6385IU | Vitamin C: 56mg | Calcium: 239mg | Iron: 2.7mg