Spicy Quinoa is an easy freezable dish that, when paired with any protein, becomes a quick healthy meal, the whole family will love.
Hi friends! Today I’m reposting and updating this spicy quinoa skillet recipe from 2014! I debated whether to post or not because it does require some fresh ingredients. However, it seems like stores are getting more stocked, AND this one is freezable.
That means you can use your fresh ingredients to make it after you go to the store next, then pull it out of the freezer later when you are out of fresh stuff. That is just one of many “how to grocery shop for 2-4 weeks at a time” post I’m going to share later this week. So stay tuned for that!
Now back to this recipe! It’s perfect to spice up any meal!
We’ve had this spicy Quinoa topped with fried eggs, shredded chicken, chicken sausage, and beans. I also think it would be a lovely side dish for crockpot carnitas, instant pot chipotle chicken tacos, steak fajitas, paleo taco salads, black beans, or salsa chicken. As I said, it’s super versatile, but since it’s spicy, Mexican flavors come to mine for great pairings!
How to Make Spicy Quinoa Skillet
First, blend up the cooking liquid. Broth plus tomato, jalapeno, garlic, and salt. PS You could 100% sub drained canned tomatoes here, in case you bought 2 BOXES of 12 each at Costco as I might have. (Hits palm to face.) Speaking of pantry goods, check out all these meals you can make with those pantry staple items here!
The spicy broth will be slightly foamy, that’s okay! It won’t be there when the Quinoa is done cooking.
Then you’ll saute up your onions and red bell pepper until they are soft, translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
Next, you’ll add the broth, bring it to a boil and then add the Quinoa.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 15-25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
Quinoa freezes well too, so this batch went in the freezer for an emergency healthy meal. Just make sure you cool it before putting it in a freezer bag. (I left the original freezer picture, because why not?)
More Fun Things To Do With Quinoa:
- 18+ Healthy Quinoa Recipes
- Quinoa “Mac” and Cheese
- Chicken Quinoa Soup
- Quinoa Enchilada Skillet
- Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Carrot Cake Quinoa Muffins
- Mini Pizza Quinoa Quiches
- Spanakopita quinoa casserole
- Kung pao quinoa casserole
- Creamy chicken casserole
Spicy Quinoa Skillet
- Place jalapenos, tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic, and salt in blender or food processor. Process until smooth, about 15 seconds on high power (or one minute for less powerful models.) You should have at least 3 cups of sauce if you don’t add water or chicken broth until you do.
- In a medium-size skillet, saute bell pepper and onion in oil on medium heat until translucent and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add in spicy blended sauce and bring to a boil. Add in uncooked quinoa, stir, reduce heat to simmer, and cover. - Cook for 15-25 minutes.
- *Check after 15 minutes, quinoa should be fluffy and translucent with all the liquid absorbed. If the liquid isn’t absorbed, cook until it is. If the quinoa isn’t translucent and fluffy but, all the liquid is gone, add ½ cup more water and continue to cook.
- Serve immediately or freeze for up to 3 months.