Craving pizza? This pizza stuffed spaghetti squash is full of all the pizza flavor & made in ONE PAN! Gluten Free, Low Carb, & High Pro
It’s one dish Monday and many of you are probably like, there is no way that spaghetti squash was made in one dish. Your right, kind of, but if you read on I will revolutionize your life and I promise you will only have to wash ONE dish.
Recently, one of my healthy habits challenge participants at the gym told me she makes her spaghetti squash in the microwave. This mysterious cooking method was something I had heard about in the past but was too scared to try it because I had visions of an exploding spaghetti squash ruining my microwave.
The thing is, I freaking love spaghetti squash but I hate the process of cooking it. You generally have two options, both involve trying not to stab yourself while you cut a raw spaghetti squash in half. I bet spaghetti squashes are the number one vegetable responsible for kitchen injury, right behind butternut squash, which I gave up dealing with eons ago
I only buy the cubed stuff, because I don’t have time for that nonsense. Spaghetti squash though is like gods gift to those of us trying to a bit a healthier. You can treat it like pasta, add tons of flavor, and still eat a boatload of vegetables, pun intended.
Of course, that little gift comes with the consequences of trying to pry it apart without killing yourself, even with a really sharp knife it’s challenging.
So, in the effort to make spaghetti squash a little more manageable, I did some research to see if you really could make the whole thing in the microwave. I mean you can microwave a potato right?
I found this post explaining how to do it and then kind of did my own thing to ensure I had super pretty halves. I was so excited it worked, I was practically gitty, like a little kid that had just discovered some secret they were previously forbidden from, like where the candy is hidden.
From there it was smooooooootttttthhhhhh sailing….to pizza spaghetti squash land. So there you go, one dish Monday WITH PIZZA FLAVOR!
View this post on Instagram
Okay my first attempt at video editing – maybe ill figure out how to fix the text but you've got to watch it!!!!! I finally learned to cook a whole spaghetti squash IN THE MICROWAVE!!!!!!!!!! . . . #dinner #primal #healthy #glutenfree #photooftheday #instafood #foodie #tasty #fitfoodie #sustainablefood #eatclean #fitfood #fitfam #healthyfood #foodporn #foodofig #realfood #tasty #foodgasm #jerf #yay #foodtech #yum #eco #feedfeed #sustainable #healthy #buzzfeast #EEEEEATS #hungryhobby
As for this past weekend, I had some pretty fun adventures. Like when our water heater started leaking gas, or when the sink broke, or when the toilet started leaking water. Of course, it was Friday and I was in the middle of rearranging the kitchen.
So we had the southwest gas guy and the appliance guy walking through our extremely messy house, seriously so freaking embarrassing, we look like total slobs. Why do things like that always happen at the worst possible times?
Then we rearranged our living room, including condensing a million of Mr. Hungry’s DVD’s into one DVD case which took FOREVER! Post water heater replacement I did finally rearrange my blog cabinet to a more accessible cabinet space. Oy Vey!
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Pizza Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Make slits around the spaghetti squash as if you were going to cut it in half length ways. About 5 slits on one side and 5 slits on the other side. Then make two additional slits in the center of each half.
- Place whole spaghetti squash in microwave and microwave at 70% power for 10-15 minutes or until soft. (Rotate the side it sits on every five minutes.)
- While spaghetti squash is cooking, add oil to a very large skillet and cook ground chicken or turkey on medium, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to broil and line a baking sheet with foil.
- When spaghetti squash is done cooking, use a dish towel to remove it from the microwave, it will be very hot. Carefully cut it in half and remove seeds. I found that when cooking the spaghetti squash whole, the seeds are harder to remove but not impossible. I ended up using kitchen shears to cut them out and then using a fork to kind of sift the stragglers out.
- Leaving about an ½ inch around the shell, remove spaghetti squash strands from shell. If you plan to make boats, you will want to keep the boats intact, if not then it doesn’t matter. Add the spaghetti squash to the skillet and mix with chicken and sauce.
- Divide the mixture back among the two half shells, top with mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. (If you don’t want to mess with the shells you can just top the mixture with cheese and pepperoni and put that in the oven, as long as you used an oven safe skillet.) Broil for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. WATCH IT, this happens fast! Garnish with parsley, basil, and red pepper flakes if desired.
Want more pizza goodness?