Oven “Fried” Chicken is a healthy tasty dinner that will totally kill any “fried” chicken drive thru craving! Gluten Free option tested with almond flour!
So, this recipe is from back in 2014 and it’s one of Mr. Hungry’s favorite. However, when we figured out that Mr. Hungry does better without gluten, dairy, and eggs in his life on the regular we kind of stopped making it.
The other day, Mr. Hungry reminded me about this recipe and asked if I could make it. Knowing the photos needed to be updated I figured why not?
This time, however, I decided to use almond flour to add some nutrition! I included the original recipe below and the updated version using almond flour so you can make it however you want!
The recipe still has dairy in it, but luckily for us, like many of my clients, Mr. Hungry is now able to tolerate those things in small doses. The biggest thing for him, and many of my clients, when they get past the 90 days of food sensitivity testing is not having all the things they reacted high to in one meal or multiple days in a row.
Since I removed the gluten/wheat issue by using almond flour, Mr. Hungry not only tolerated these but raved about how good they were. He STILL keeps talking about how good they were and we had them over THREE weeks ago!
He has always said this recipe is BETTER than KFC, which I think is a huge win considering they are baked and not fried. I don’t eat fast food anymore (except in and out), I just don’t have those cravings anymore, but it’s still a struggle sometimes for Mr. Hungry.
So, if I can make him something will satisfy his cravings and fuel him with healthy ingredients I think that is a HUGE win! With the LEAP test, we learned it wasn’t just gluten, dairy, and eggs for Mr. Hungry but things you’d never expect like lettuce that was causing an issue (not surprising for me since this is common with my clients).
Keep in mind I only work with clients I think will be able to complete the protocol and will benefit from the test. If you are interested in finding out if you are a candidate for food sensitivity testing you can schedule a consult on my website!
Now, onto dinner and leftovers….
Oven "Fried" Drumsticks
Oven "Fried" Chicken is a healthy tasty dinner that will totally kill any "fried" chicken drive thru craving!
- To use almond flour you need to double the flour/ingredients to coat the chicken:
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 lbs chicken drumsticks skin removed (if you can’t find skinless, ask the meat department to skin some for you)
- 1 cup almond flour not meal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine buttermilk and drumsticks in a large zip lock bag and seal, marinate for one hour (lay flat and turn over after 30 minutes.)
- Preheat oven to 450F
- For version one: combine ½ cup flour and seasonings in a large zip lock bag. Take chicken out of marinade bag. Add one drumstick to the flour bag and shake till well coated. Lightly shake off excess coating and place on a lightly sprayed parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- For version two: combine ½ almond flour, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon ground white pepper, ¼ teaspoon cumin in a large zip lock bag. Add one drumstick to the flour bag and shake till well coated. Lightly shake off excess coating and place on a lightly sprayed parchment lined baking sheet and repeat with remaining drumsticks. You will likely need to make a second batch of seasoning to coat all the drumsticks.
- Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450F for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Oven ‘Fried’ Chicken is a healthy dinner that will kill any ‘fried’ chicken drive thru craving! ” quote=”Oven ‘Fried’ Chicken is a healthy dinner that will kill any ‘fried’ chicken drive thru craving! “]
What I Used For This Recipe (Amazon Affiliate Links):
Looking for more ideas? Check out my recipe index or one of these recipes:
Oven Fried Chicken Taquitos WITH VIDEO