Good morning friends! Thanks for bearing with me while the blog goes through some changes on the back end. I know some sharing buttons and things like that might not be working 100%, it should all get sorted out soon! In the meantime, I have another recipe for appetizer week for you guys! One that Mr. Hungry has been begging me to make a homemade version for years! Have you ever read the ingredients on a box of mini quiches at Costco, it’s some scary stuff. Not only do they have refined white flour that we don’t usually eat in our house, but they also have hydrogenated oil aka trans fat. Combined with the massive amounts of preservatives to keep them frozen, it’s kind of a three strikes your out deal. Partially hydrogenated anything is an absolute no in my house. It raises your cholesterol, makes your cholesterol more dangerous, and promotes inflammation.
So finally, I decided to try and make some for Mr. Hungry. It took a few batches to get it right though. The first time I made them I burnt the you know what out of them, they tasted good but were dry and burnt. The second time they were too wet and stuck to the pan. After a few attempts though, I finally got them perfect. Light and flaky crust with a savory bacon or cheesy filling, utter perfection. Now, I’ll be 100% honest. This recipe isn’t the quickest recipe I’ve ever made in my life. I was annoyed with myself while I pressed the crust into 24 mini tin holes. In reality, it took less than five minutes and it was 100% worth it because this version is so much healthier! Coconut flour adds, fiber and protein that you wouldn’t get with refined flour. (PS would anyone be interested in focuses on different types of flours? I know many of you are still unsure what to do with it but are interested. I’m happy to share the rundown on each one of my favorite flours if you want!) Let me know if you give them a try!
These mini quiches are super easy to whip up with a #grainfree crust! the best finger food!Click To Tweet
These mini quiches are super easy to whip up with a grain-free crust, they are a healthier version of your favorite appetizer!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup original or vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried chives
- 2 pieces of bacon
- 12 tablespoons shredded cheeses of choice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make crust by combing 1 cup coconut flour, 1/3 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup almond milk, ¼ teaspoon salt and 2 eggs until mixed.
- Grease a mini muffin tin and add 1-2 tablespoons of dough in each muffin hole. Press down to make the mini quiche crust, repeat for all 24 holes. You don’t want it to be more than ¼ inch thick.
- For bacon and chive quiches: add a sprinkle of chives and a pinch of crumbled bacon to each hole. Note if you want all bacon and chive then you need four pieces of bacon and more chives.
- For 3 cheese version: Add a sprinkle of chives to each hole. I just added a couple of shreds of each kind of cheese (I used Swiss, cheddar, and Colby) into each of the remaining 12 holes. Note, if you want all vegetarian you need more cheese and chives.
- Whisk together half and half, eggs, garlic, and remaining salt. Fill each crust with 1 ish tablespoon of filling. You want them to be full but not overflowing.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes until filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
Serving Size 1 quiche
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 6 g
Total Carbohydrates 3 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @thehungryhobbyrd on Instagram and hashtag it #hungryhobby.
More appetizer recipes or check out my appetizer recipe index: