This Healthy Breakfast Quesadilla is filled with spinach, cheddar, and egg whites for a tasty filling healthy breakfast!
NEW 1 MINUTE VIDEO BEFORE RECIPE CARD!
Happy Monday friends! I hope my Newsletter subscriber friends are enjoying their new healthy high protein smoothie recipe ebook!
I also hope you guys had a GREAT weekend! Mine was a pretty good mix of work, relaxation, and family time. It was not, however, a good mix of exercise unless you count walking Nala.
Motivation on the workout front was at an all-time low, mostly because I’m sick of the random pinches my shoulder gets when I move it in a way it doesn’t like. I can do the same thing again, and it’s fine.
Either way, I decided to I have no idea what I’m doing to keep it from healing, so I’ve got zero motivation to go through a workout. I’d rather take a full month off and figure this out, then have it go on continually any longer at all.
The one thing that helps me deal with injury? The fact that Mr. Hungry gets injured as frequently as I do he makes me feel like it’s okay and kind of normal for active people. For Cinco De Mayo we made a feast at home.
As much as we would both LOVE to go out, eat all the chips and down some margaritas, it’s kind of not as enjoyable when you know you can offset a feast with a killer workout. So we opted for a meal at home that was fun to make together and delicious. Luckily taco seasoning makes it easy to make healthy Mexican food. (I posted our dinner on IG.)
How was your Cinco De Mayo? What did you do?
Totally switching topics, I make this healthy breakfast quesadilla for breakfast at least every day for a week straight at least once a month.
I don’t even think of it as a recipe, I just think of it as my favorite breakfast. Then I realized, it’s PERFECT for one dish Monday (see all my ONE DISH recipes here)! When I’ve got this on the menu for breakfast, I can’t wait to get out of bed so I can eat it.
It feels like a breakfast you would get when you eat out, only it’s healthy and you made it at home! Typically, I use egg whites because I want all my fat to come from LOTS OF CHEESE. I’m not against egg yolk, it’s just in my quesadilla I want cheese! (Read egg yolks vs egg whites standoff.)
Oh yes, and I totally cut it into strips like a four-year-old, because I can. Do it; you won’t regret it, it’s all the better for dipping into salsa!
[clickToTweet tweet=”YUM! #Healthy #Glutenfree #Breakfast Quesadilla filled with spinach, cheddar, and egg whites! ” quote=”YUM! #Healthy #Glutenfree #Breakfast Quesadilla filled with spinach, cheddar, and egg whites! “]
Healthy Breakfast Quesadilla
Healthy Breakfast Quesadilla
- Place a medium size non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray (I prefer avocado oil) and add ½ cup fresh spinach to the pan. Sauté the spinach until it is wilted.
- Once the spinach is wilted, then pour the liquid egg whites over the spinach, sprinkle with onion powder, garlic salt, and black pepper. DO NOT STIR EGGS. I found it easier to make the eggs, omelet style. Once they are almost set, fold one side over the other and continue cooking until they are fully set. You can flip them if one side starts to brown too much before they are done the cooking. If you break them, it’s okay, just try to keep them in as big of pieces as possible, this makes them easier to eat in the quesadilla.
- While the eggs are cooking prepare the tortilla. (See note for GF tortilla.) Line tortilla with shredded or sliced cheese.
- When the eggs are fully set, transfer to the tortilla and fold the tortilla in half to cover the eggs. Spray the pan again and place the quesadilla on the pan until both sides are browned and cheese is melted. You will need to flip it to brown both sides!
- Once both sides have reached your desired crispiness and meltiness level it’s ready! Be careful it will be hot, I like to serve mine with guac and salsa to cool it down (temperature wise) and because, guac and salsa, duh.
Like this recipe? Then you’ll definitely want to try one of these too!
Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later and follow @hungryhobby for more healthy recipes, quick workouts, and healthy living tips!