Guess what I made this weekend????
I had one Tuesday morning already and they are seriously epic. These burritos have all the necessary factors to power up your morning in no time. Green chiles, onions, cheese, and eggs wrapped in a healthy high protein low carb whole grain tortilla ready in 90 seconds, I think that could change lives. I usually bring my breakfast and lunch to work and I love how portable these are. I grab one out of the freezer and throw in my lunchbox before I leave for work. It’s ready in 90 seconds so I can down it before the morning gets to crazy, its pretty much the perfect healthy breakfast. Except it doesn’t taste like healthy, it taste like a cheesy egg burrito so it feels indulgent. You’ve got to try and make a batch of these you’ll never go back to buying frozen burritos or go through the drive through ever again. Okay, maybe you will if you run out of them.
- 8 whole wheat large tortillas (La Tortilla Factory)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 3 green onions
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- EVOO or Avocado Oil
- Microwave safe plastic wrap
- Optional Add-ins: chopped bacon/turkey bacon —> I added in turkey bacon to Paul’s burritos and made them with a slightly bigger tortilla
- Sauté ¼ chopped yellow onion in a pan with oil until translucent and tender (about 5 minutes).
- Whisk half of each ingredient: 4 eggs, ½ cup egg whites, 1.5 green onions, 2 T sour cream, ½ can green chiles, seasonings (half amount or too your preference.)
- Add whisked egg mixture to pan on medium-high and scramble eggs just until set. (You want them to be almost underdone, they can finish cooking when you microwave your burrito later.)
- Place ¼ of eggs on a whole wheat tortilla (I used La Tortilla Factory, 100% Whole Wheat Large) and roll into a burrito. (Fold in sides while rolling over itself.)
*Note- the whole wheat tortillas can be a bit tricky to work with. I originally thought they would be easier to work with warmed for a few seconds in the microwave, but they kept breaking. I found that keeping them in the fridge until just before you use them works best for rolling them into burritos.
- Place burrito in plastic wrap in microwave on high for 60 seconds.
- Remove wrapper and heat for an additional 30 to 60 seconds.
Nutrition Facts (per burrito)
Looking for more easy and portable make ahead breakfast ideas? Check out the following posts for more quick and healthy recipes:
- DIY Starbucks Frozen Feta Wraps
- 10 Healthy & Portable Make Ahead Breakfast Ideas
- Pancake Overnight Oats
I will probably get my results for my MRI by Friday. In the mean time I’m having some serious jealousness when Paul comes home and goes for a run. So last night I decided to step up my game a bit with my upper body routine. This one got my heart rate up and had my arms feeling like jello when I was done… success!