These individual freezer meal prep steel cut oats are the perfect way to be prepared with a healthy breakfast any morning!
Hi, friends! Happy Monday! First thing is first if you haven’t done so already make sure you head to Instagram and enter to win an Instant Pot (click here to see the post!) I have been OBSESSED with using my Instant Pot in preparation for the baby coming soon! (See my review of the Instant Pot here!)
For this recipe, I used the Instant Pot to prep individual freezer steel cut oats in a muffin tin that can be heated directly from the freezer!
True story, steel cut oats are my favorite kind of oats. I find that they just stick to my ribs better and that their texture is unbeatable. Unfortunately, even the quick cooking variety is a pain in the you know what to make. So, I decided to try making a bunch in the IP and then make individual freezer cups so I can have a healthy breakfast when hungry baby comes in October!
It came out even better than I imagined! The little cups took a little work to get out of the muffin tin, but I found a trick to that. Run the back of the tray under hot water for 10 seconds max and then use a butter knife to pop them out!
Once you pop them out you can store them in a more convenient way like a large freezer bag. When you are ready to eat one just place it in a microwave-safe bowl.
Add 1/3 cup water (they get a little dried out in the fridge) or unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Then heat for 2-3 minutes on high, stirring halfway through.
Then the fun part, add whatever toppings you want! I always stir in some collagen into my oats for extra protein, then I added berries, almond butter, and almond slivers on top!
Let me know if you try this one! It’s definitely a simple meal prep win because you can easily have the oats going while you prep the rest of your food for the week or cook up dinner one night. Easy peasy!
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up!
Individual Freezer Meal Prep Steel Cut Oats
- Cook Steel Cut Oats. I used my Instant Pot and cooked on high pressure for 4 minutes; then I let it Naturally Release for 4 minutes. You could also use your slow cooker, see notes for instructions!
- After oats are done cooking add 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (you may not need the additional liquid if you cook the oats using another method.) and 1/3 cup maple syrup. Stir to combine well.
- Use cooking spray to grease a muffin tin.
- Add 1/3 cup oats to each muffin hole and freeze.
- Using a butter knife pop each individually frozen oat cups out of the muffin tin and store in a freezer bag with the date.
- Reheat 1 muffin cup with 1/3 cup milk for 2-3 minutes. Stir and then top it with your desired toppings.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Don’t forget to pin this recipe later and follow @hungryhobby on Pinterest for more healthy recipes, quick workouts, and nutrition tips.