These easy chicken burrito bowls are good for you and taste amazing, and can be made in less than 30 minutes.
Well, friends, it’s been three weeks, but I’m finally back with another recipe.
Moving is not for the faint of heart. Moving in one of the toughest real estate markets in well, probably my lifetime with little kids is not for anyone with half a brain who wasn’t forced to, but we did it. And I’m happy to say we are moved in. Everything but the office looks halfway decent, we even have pictures on the walls, and we LOVE our new home. And we ended up moving less than two miles, so getting to know our new neighborhood while enjoying all the same grocery stores and familiarity of the area.
But, man, stomach flu into moving was a little rough there. And you can’t do S-H-I-T with little kids. It’s a nightmare. My Aunt dropped off the dog and said I looked like a walking ghost, which was accurate since KK decided moving week would be an excellent week to wake up at 330AM every day.
But today, we are back on track, and I have a recipe for you that I devoured all last week!
The last couple of times I’ve got Chipotle, between the wait for the online order and the sloppy meal assembly, it almost wasn’t worth it. That’s why I decided to whip up my own at home. I used a lot of convenience items and brought these bowls together in 30 minutes. I barely got any photos of them, but luckily I did so that I can share them today!
How to Make Easy Chicken Burrito Bowls
You’ll start by making my chicken taco meat recipe. It’s the perfect recipe for ground chicken that leaves a juicy, flavorful result (instead of dry and boring.) In addition, the chicken taco meat portion is freezer friendly, so go ahead and make a double batch.
After that, it’s just assembling the bowls.
HOT TIP: I use canned beans and precooked brown rice. I either meal prep my brown rice once a month, but I’ve recently bought the precooked bowls from Costco. It’s a game-changer, especially when I need to whip out a healthy carb out of nowhere for the baby. I also buy precut romaine lettuce and chop it more myself: Premade, guac, salsa, and pico de Gallo in the fresh section of the grocery store.
When you rely on “healthy” convenience items, these bowls are almost quicker to make than going to chipotle. Almost…. anyways…
If I have other items in the fridge like cilantro, green onion, cheese, and sour cream, I might throw them on the bowls, but honestly, they don’t need them!
Swaps & Substitution Ideas
You can swap out and change up your burrito bowl as you like. There are no rules when it comes to burrito bowls. It’s just throwing everything in a bowl you would typically wrap up in a tortilla. That’s it!
For swaps and substitutions for the chicken taco meat, see here. For the burrito bowls, you can change up the quantity as desired.
Optional swaps or additions:
- sweet corn
- bell peppers
- cherry tomatoes
- cauliflower rice
How to Freeze & Store Chicken Burrito Bowls
You can’t freeze the whole bowl, but the taco meat is freezer friendly.
I recommend building the bowls upside down for meal prep and storing, with the guac and salsa on the bottom and lettuce on top. This keeps everything fresh and from getting too soggy.
More Burrito Bowl Recipes:
You May Also Like:
- Spicy Guacamole
- Lazy Guacamole
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Tortilla Strips
- Easy Homemade Salsa
Easy Chicken Burrito Bowl Recipe
- large non-stick skillet with lid
Chicken Taco Meat
Chicken Taco Meat Instructions
- Saute onions and jalapeno in oil on medium in a large non-stick skillet until translucent and tender, about 3-5 minutes.1 tbsp avocado oil, 1 yellow onion, 1 jalapeno, deseeded, deveined
- Add chicken and taco seasoning, cook for 8-10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.1 lb ground chicken, 1/4 cup taco seasoning
- Add diced tomatoes in and 1/4 cup water. Stir well. Place the lid on and let simmer for at least 5 minutes. If meat sticks to the bottom of the pan, add more water.1 can diced tomatoes
- Finish with a sprits of lime juice! About a teaspoon of lime juice or the juice of half of a lime.
Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Add 1 cup of romaine lettuce to a bowl. Top each with 1/4 chicken taco meat, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1/4 cup pico de gallo, 1/4 cup salsa, and 2-3 tbsp guacamole. Add optional topping as desired. Dig in! *See note for meal prep and freezer instructions.