Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake is a savory way to use oats that taste like a comforting bowl of broccoli cheddar soup, but it’s a healthy breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Gluten Free & Vegetarian
By posting this recipe, I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by National Dairy Council and the Quaker Oats Center of Excellence and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. (Contest Ended)
Post updated 2/15/17
UPDATE This recipe has a video now! Scroll down to the recipe card to see it!
This recipe is an old favorite in our house, it’s Mr. Hungry’s favorite HH recipe to date. I updated the photos, so I’m resharing it with you today! I’m leaving the original text below, have fun taking a trip down memory lane! ……..
Happy Monday Friends! I can not tell you how excited I am to share this recipe with everyone. We’ve been eating it as a side dish for every meal; it is SO good! This Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake taste like a comforting, rich bowl of broccoli cheddar soup but in a healthy creamy oatmeal bake! In the words of Mr. Hungry “Crunchy, cheesy, are you making more soon?”
If you’re like me, you most likely reserve your oat stash for a healthy and sweet breakfast option. Oatmeal, however, is a more versatile ingredient than we think. Its absorbent nature means it will take on the flavor of whatever you cook it with and yield a delicious chewy texture.
The idea for this recipe came from the idea to create a savory oats dish, something I had never tried before. My first idea was a “mac and cheese” type dish, but then I spotted the bag of broccoli in the fridge, and the rest is history.
Broccoli + Cheddar = Amazing. It’s by far my favorite type of soup, but I don’t eat soup when it’s 110F or hotter outside. Luckily, this baked oatmeal version has all the flavor of broccoli cheddar soup, plus a deliciously crunchy crust layered on top a moist, cheesy center.
You can feel good about indulging in this classic comfort food too. Each serving is a good source of essential nutrients like potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and iron. Also, thanks to the 100% whole grain oats and low-fat dairy you’ll get a filling 16gram punch of protein per serving.
If you are a meal plan subscriber, this recipe will be appearing on your meal plan soon!
Not signed up yet? What to Eat? Meal Plans! are balanced, healthy, gluten-free meal plans designed by a Registered Dietitian (that’s me!) to make healthy eating more convenient. Plus they include delicious recipes from Hungry Hobby like this one! Learn More and Sign Up for a FREE Week!
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Turn on burner to medium-low and melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and ½ cup milk until completely smooth.
- Add flour mixture to skillet followed by the remaining milk (1.5 cups).
- Turn skillet up to medium and heat for 7-10 minutes until sauce mixture is thickened. Whisk constantly! If flour begins to stick to bottom remove from heat and turn it down before returning to heat. You will know your sauce is done when you feel some resistance on your whisk.
- Remove from heat add in greek yogurt, cheese, and seasonings. Whisk until all the cheese is melted and a smooth creamy sauce is achieved.
- In a large bowl combine oatmeal, broccoli, egg, baking soda and cheese mixture.
- Once the mixture is well combined add it to a greased 8x8 baking dish or 9 inch cake pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes until it is full set and inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
- (Additionally you can broil it for 30 seconds to one minute before removing from oven to get an extra crispy top. )
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve!
It’s delicious! Let me know if you try it!
Looking for more healthy dishes pairing the power of oats and dairy? Check out these recipes: