Hi bloggies, man this week has been flying by quickly, I really can’t believe it’s already Thursday (not complaining though!) My extra sleep challenge has definitely been cutting into my blog time, but hopefully I can catch up this evening on my daily eats and fitness recaps. Listen, I know you can buy marinara from the store, its convenient and it will suffice, but it won’t be AS good as making it yourself with GOAT CHEESE. This sauce literally takes 10 minutes to make and tastes a million times better than anything you can buy at the store. Maybe that’s because I doubt you can find the awesome combination of spicy + goat cheese pre-made in a jar. I think they should make that though because this is knock your socks off and scrape the bowl good. And that is something I NEVER thought I’d say about a Marinara sauce.
Ten Minute Spicy Goat Cheese Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1T minced garlic
- 1/2 T crushed red pepper flakes
- 1T tomato paste
- 1 can 32 ounce chunky style crunched tomatoes
- ½ tsp Italian dried seasoning
- 1 handful flat leaf parsley leaves (or ½ tsp dried parsley)
- ¼ cup chopped basil (or ½ tsp dried basil)
- ½ small yellow onion
- 4 ounces goat cheese
1. Sauté onion in pan until translucent and tender, add garlic and pepper to pan, when pepper snaps and garlic sizzles, add tomato paste and cook for one minute.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes and seasoning, basil, and parsley. (PS I forgot to sauté my onion at the beginning so I added it in with the tomatoes, so instead of being tender it was crunchy, which I liked.)
3. When mixture is bubbling stir in 4 ounces of goat cheese. Sauce is done when goat cheese is completely melted.
I made myself a big old spaghetti squash to eat this sauce with for lunch all week.
For some protein, I topped it with these awesome pre-cooked chicken meatballs I got at Costco last weekend. The spicy/sweet combo pairs with the sauce really well.
The recipe made enough for me to eat with my big old spaghetti squash and freeze two cups for later use. Let me know if you try it!