General Sleep Better Tips
- Limit your blue light exposure (basically anything with a screen) at least 45-60 minutes before bed. I use f.lux which changes the hue on my screen at certain times to remove blue light late at night.
- Meditate before bed to help shut down your mind.
- Limit alcohol intake, while it may help you get to sleep, it also decreases the amount of REM (the deep restorative) sleep you get.
- Sleep in the darkest room possible, get black out shades or an eye mask if needed, ESPECIALLY if you are doing shift work which requires you to sleep at times of the day other than 10 pm to 6 am.
- Do the between the sheets tango. The release of certain hormones, including prolactin, may help you get to sleep a little easier.
- Using a netty pot with distilled water can help clear nasal passages potential helping you sleep better.
- Keep the bedroom for sleeping, making it more likely your body with trigger sleep hormones more readily when you climb into bed. If it’s used to working in the bedroom that could be difficult.
- Create a routine. Get your body used to a schedule and stick to it as best as possible, experts believe the most optimal pattern is 10 pm to 6 am.
- Limit caffeine after 2 pm. Look for hidden sources of caffeine.
- Drink herbal tea at night. Tea can have a relaxing effect and help you create a bedtime routine that triggers the release of the appropriate hormones and chemical messengers.
- Try Natural Calm to help you relax at night.
Other Considerations for Sleep Disturbances:
- Wonky or imbalanced levels of sex hormones.
- Nutrition deficiencies.
- Incorrectly timed supplements. (For example, Vitamin D is suspected of throwing off the circadian rhythm if taken at night.)
- Sleep apnea.
- Sinus problems.
52 Healthy Habits E-Course
Want healthy habits to come directly to your inbox? No problem!
The e-course will provide supportive information such as tips and tricks to help you ingrain each healthy habit as part of your permanent lifestyle.
Cost of the automated series is $9.99 which helps me cover the cost of automating the emails through my server. Thanks!
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 52: Healthy Habits Wrap Up
- Week 51: Nightly Reflection
- Week 50: Limit Harmful Chemicals
- Week 49: Find Your Tribe
- Week 48: Cultivating Positivity
- Week 47: Healthy Thanksgiving Tips
- Week 46: Check In
- Week 45: Mobility – Foam Rolling
- Week 44: HIIT Training
- Week 43: LISS or Steady State Cardio
- Week 42: Limit Alcohol
- Week 41: Eat White, Wait What?
- Week 40: Eat Blue & Purple
- Week 39: Eat Green
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water
This Week’s Meal Prep
Woot Woot I finally got back on the meal prep train!
- Make Ahead Protein Shake
- Bacon Broccoli Slaw (recipe coming soon)
- Grilled Chicken
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars (still working on that one)
- Iced Coffee (half caf)
- Washed Celery
I know this post usually goes up on Sundays, but the six days a week posting schedule was feeling too forced. So I made the decision to delay the post until Monday. My weekend recap is scheduled to post this afternoon, along with my personal weekly goals. Be sure to check back later for that and a new treadmill workout!