Oven “Fried” Chicken Taquitos are a healthy twist on your favorite Mexican Food appetizer, save tons of calories by baking instead of frying! Gluten Free
First up, thank you so much for all your kind comments yesterday, it is good to know that so many of you understand what I’m going through. Your support means the world to me. Speaking of that, I’m terrible, yesterday I promised you wings and today I give you chicken taquitos. I understand if you are mad, it’s okay, I know you still love me. Wings are coming next week, I promise, but today I’ve got something just as spectacular…. oven baked chicken taquitos! I mean who could say no to these right?
This is actually a very old Hungry Hobby recipe, posted way back in 2014 when I had two readers. Trust me, the photos desperately needed updating! Besides, Mexican food is hands down my favorite food, any time any place I LOVE Mexican food. Luckily for me, it is also one of the easiest foods to health-a-fy. This recipe takes your typical taquito calorie bomb and lightens it up by using chicken and baking instead of deep frying the taquitos. Way healthier than a restaurant version or frozen food, but still just as crunchy and delicious. Plus with all the calories you saved you get to dip it in a little extra guac right? What makes everything better? I was surprised at how easy this all came together. I thought it would be labor intensive with the rolling of the taquitos but the whole thing was ready in about 35 minutes!
What are your plans this weekend? My – shoulder, rib, back whatever it is, is feeling better. I went to the chiropractor yesterday and then didn’t do ANYTHING, I didn’t even walk the dog. Hoping that helps kick it. I think rib things just take a while to work themselves out, lucky me. Also, Mr. Hungry has plans to deep clean the house, double lucky me. I’m totally down to get rid of stuff and organize, hopefully, that is what he means!
Oven Fried Chicken Taquitos
Yield 12 Taquitos
Slightly adapted from Eating Well Magazine
- ½ medium onion
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1T avocado oil
- 1lb ground chicken
- 3T Chili Powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 6 inch corn tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded pepper jack
- Preheat oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with foil, grease with oil or cooking spray
- Shred Zucchini using the large holes of a box grater, squeeze dry in a clean kitchen towel (should have 2 cups.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, ground chicken, chili powder, onions, cumin and salt. to pan and cook, stirring until the chicken is cooked through 8-10 minutes.
- Spread tortillas out on a baking sheet in two overlapping rows. Bake until hot, about 2 minutes, transfer to a plate and cover.
- Line the baking sheet with foil or parchment paper (for easier clean up) and coat with cooking spray. Place 6 tortillas on a clean cutting board or extra pan. Working quickly, spread a generous ¼ cup chicken mixture along the bottom third of a tortilla, sprinkle with about 1T cheese and tightly roll into a cigar shape.
- Generously coat the top and sides of taquitos with cooking spray. Sprinkle the top with salt, liberally. Bake the taquitos until browned and crispy, 14 to 18 minutes.
- Serve with spicy guacamole!
sub the chili powder and cumin for chili powder blend if you want
Courses appetizer, potluck
Cuisine mexican, gluten free
Serving Size 1 taquito
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 33 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16.7 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Protein 16 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.