How was your weekend? Mine was actually laid back but fun.
Friday morning I got a 6-mile training run in with the pup!
Then I worked all day, finishing up appointments and blog to do lists. If we are friends on snapchat you know my evening included finishing season 6 of Game of Thrones. I know, we are total party animals, don’t be jealous!
Saturday morning I headed to TI Fitness for a strength endurance workout. Those sumo squats were killer on my tired legs but I got through them!
Had my first of many Pumpkin Coffee Smoothie of the season!
Chores and grocery shopping got done too! Sometimes when I make my weekly meal plan, I get so into it seems like a life or death decision. Then I remember, it’s just food silly! I did spend a super long time shopping at the grocery store, I kind of feel like it’s career research sometimes ya know?
- Daiya yogurts and chocolate chip pumpkin muffins for Mr. Hungry (recipe coming VERY soon!)
- Flourless pumpkin pancake or Pumpkin bread for me – recipe not coming so soon because I burnt it. I’m going to eat it, but will have to make it again before I can take photos! (You can always try Cinnamon Raisin Bread or Coconut Banana Bread if you are looking for delicious healthy bread recipes to try!)
- Lunch meat salads for Mr. Hungry
- Leftovers, eggs, or lunch meat creations for me!
- Sunday- Hoison Salmon (PaleOMG Cookbook) & Turmeric Cauliflower Rice
- Monday- Spicy Broccoli Cheddar Quiche (or similar we have eggs and broccoli, so something!)
- Tuesday- Pizza Stuffed Bell Peppers (Recipe Development)
- Wednesday- Leftovers
- Thursday – TJ’s Butternut Squash for me, TJs Chicken Chili for Mr. Hungry
- Friday – Wing It
- Saturday – out
Saturday night we went out shopping for a bit than to get Indian Food. I kept it casual so we could go from mall shopping to date night pretty easy. Stitch Fix top with a light army green pair of cargo shorts, steve madden sandals, stitch fix bag, and hat.
Sadly, shopping was kind of a bust. The Indian food was delicious but definitely a lot of flavors I wasn’t used to. No pictures because it was kind of dark and Indian Food never looks good on an iPhone anyways. We came home and watched a nice little rom-com called The Intervention. Sunday morning I pulled out one of my favorite dresses I’ve ever bought, my favorite thing I bought while in Europe and wore it to mass. In the morning it was cool enough to wear my beloved Stitch Fix jacket.
It quickly heated up so I draped the jacket over my bag which worked out nicely. Aside from this being one of my favorite dresses these shoes are hands down my favorite ever. They are short booties with snakeskin patterning from Betsey Johnson (I found these similar ones). You probably didn’t know this about me but I love snakeskin patterned anything. I’m absolutely obsessed with it, have been FOREVER. Which is funny because I’m not a big fan of any other animal prints. Maybe I should make that clear on my Stitch Fix boxes since I have animal prints currently listed as DON’T SEND.
The rest of Sunday included a long walk with Nala, lots of baking, two long Skype call back home with the in-laws (miss them so much), plus getting some work done (including starting this post!)
Week 42 Healthy Habit: Limit Alcohol
So now let’s backtrack to our Saturday night Indian Food date night, neither of us had a drink. Now don’t get me wrong, there is nothing that I love more than getting dressed up, trying new foods and having a drink. However, I just don’t drink that much. Unless I’m traveling, it usually ends up being 1-2 times per month. I have always been a social drinker (which is why I end up drinking more when I travel I think.) I’ve never been one to pour a glass of wine for myself after a long day. I don’t like how it makes me feel (that night or the next morning) or how I sleep. Mr. Hungry’s yeast sensitivity limits him to grain free hard alcohols which he prefers to save for sporting events. So, we are lucky, we just aren’t really drinkers. (If we’re talking about sugar, that would be another story, luckily that isn’t what this post is about.)
I bring this up because one of the members of the gym recently asked me if her 2-3 times per week cocktail habit could be stopping her from reaching her goals. That is such a tough question to answer. Like all food, alcohol is an individual choice made up of your preferences, cultural background, and other influences. Alcohol is also calorie dense and non-nutritional, and don’t start with the antioxidants heart-healthy wine argument. You can antioxidants from any fruit or vegetable and consume any heart healthy fat (olive, avocado, etc) easily enough. That argument is like comparing maple syrup to refined sugar. Does one have a trace health benefits over the other? Yes, but are they both pretty much empty calories? Also, yes.
So is it the limiting factor in her success? I don’t know for sure, but maybe. It is my belief that stress is the single most important factor to weight loss. Under high stress, the body fights weight loss every step of the way. So, if a drink 2-3 times per week helps bring down stress, it’s hard to say. However, since alcohol is a toxin or poison in our bodies, it is, in of itself a stressor. So it’s a catch 22.
That being said, here is this week’s challenge:
Go one week without a drink.
For some of you, this will be too easy. Great, go back to one of the weeks below and repeat something you struggled with or haven’t been great with recently. The rest of you may feel like I’ve taken away a sacred ritual and you will hate me, curse my name and potentially make voodoo dolls in an attempt to get back at me. It’s okay, I accept your twisted craziness. I know what you’re going through, I used to be plenty attached to a number of foods. Now that I’ve practiced intuitive eating for long enough, there is no one food I couldn’t live without. In giving up my constant need to control my food, I’ve freed myself from restriction and gained more control than I ever thought I would have. It’s weird, give up control to get control, what kind of backward twisted world are we living in?
Anyways, I intentionally put this challenge in October so that you can decide what role you want Alcohol to play overall the holidays. Take note of how you feel, how you sleep, your stress, your energy levels, your workouts and what you did or didn’t do instead of drink. Did you stretch, go for a walk, or go to bed earlier without the drink? Let me know how it goes, or I guess I’ll know when you start stabbing the voodoo doll in anger. It’s cool I’ve got a high pain tolerance, or so I think….
What are your thoughts???? Drinking, neh or yeah?
How was your weekend?
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 41: Eat White, Wait What?
- Week 40: Eat Blue & Purple
- Week 39: Eat Green
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water