Hi, friends! I am currently in between trips right now. I’m typing this post as I wait in the airport for my flight from Burlington, Vermont to Des Moines, Iowa. I’m super pumped to be sharing all my travel fun with you soon (and be sure to follow along on Insta and snapchat -hungryhobbyrd)!
GREEN Vegetables and Fruit Benefits
I’m sure you’ve heard it before, eating more green veggies is one of the best things you could do for your health. We’ve already learned that a colorful plate is best to get a variety of health benefits, so why does green get all the credit?
Green produce gets its pigment from this magical little compound called chorophyll. Cholorphyll is actually similar to hemoglobin, however, it contains magnesium at the center, instead of iron. Therefore, it is often referred to as the “blood” of the plant. It is also the compound that allows a plant to magically convert light to energy.
Stop and think about that for a minute. Can you convert daylight to energy? All I seem to do is BURN daylight and energy like I have an unending supply of both. Not only does cholorphyll convert light into energy, but it is truly a rockstar superstar antixodant.
Benefits of Cholorphyll – The GREEN food Antioxidant
- Binding to potential carcinogens to make them less dangerous
- Binding to potential carcinogens to interfere with absorption
- Promoting production of liver enzymes utilized in detoxification pathways
- Preventing infections and speeding wound healing
- Promotes satiety and stable blood sugar, potentially leading to better weight control
Green Food Recipes
Are you jealous yet? Don’t worry, I put together a round up of all my favorite “green food” recipes so we can all reap the benefits of this green superstar. Whether you love ALLTHEGREENVEGGIES or can’t stand the taste, there is a recipe in this list for EVERY ONE!
Green Lunch/Dinner Recipes
Zucchini Noodle Lasagna
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 38: Eat Yellow/Orange
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water