Hi friends! I failed a bit this weekend at taking decent photos of me, you know the kind where I am not dripping sweat and have some makeup on. That’s okay you guys get me all the time right? It was a fast and busy weekend but a good one. The major win? I got a TON of meal prep done, I LOVE when that happens I feel like a super star. Before we get to this weeks challenge I did want to share this little adventure with you.
MacAlpine’s Soda Fountain – Grandma’s 88 Birthday
As always you can follow along for all the nonsense on snapchat and see a bit more behind the scenes action (hungryhobbyrd)
Crazy stuff, this place is still in it’s original building!
Mr. Hungry kicked things off with a Shirley temple!
They had epic sandwiches and burgers but I knew dessert was coming so I stuck with a bacon and chicken salad. I was hungry and ate the whole thing plus some of Mr. Hungry’s pastrami sandwich! I can not WAIT to recreate the carrot raisin salad at home, that was DELICIOUS!
We all shared this epic sundae, plus Mr. Hungry got a slice of pecan pie and his grandma got a slice of apple pie! It was absolutely delicious! I haven’t had “real ice cream” (versus frozen yogurt or banana ice cream) in a really long time. It was definitely delicious!
Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
This week we are shifting way from food again and focusing on mindset for a few weeks. Last week I was listening to Invisibilia – one of my favorite podcasts to listen to while I walk the pup. They began the episode by telling a story about African American soldiers in Wolrd War 2. The Army was particularly concerned with the morale of African American soldiers stationed in the south. At the time the Army was still segregated, there was still an enormous amount of discrimination, and these soliders had to deal with a lack of ability to safely go out on the weekend to blow off steam.
After surveying African American soldiers in the north AND south, they surprisingly found that soldiers stationed in the south had the same or higher morale than those in the north. When African American soldiers in the north traveled outside their door, they saw African Americans that were getting better paying jobs than soliders (black and white). When African American soliders in the south traveled outside their door, they could see they were in a better situation than most of the African American residents and were looked up too. This finding laid the groundwork for something known as the Theory of Relative Deprivation.
Theory of Relative Deprivation
It’s not your objective situation that determines your happiness, it’s this invisible frame of reference that you carry in your head. A frame of reference that you don’t even know consciously that you are using. But you are using it, and it filters your experience of the world and how you are feeling. – Invisibilia Podcast
Change The Frame Of Reference: Gratitude Journaling
(Taken at Piexeto Coffee in downtown Chandler this weekend when I went to meet a Gillian for Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics social media work.)
Gratitude journaling is a simple way to put your mind in the right frame of reference in the morning. A way to begin the day of reminding yourself of everything in life you have, instead of what you are missing or pursuing. Spend at least 5 minutes making your list and come up with at least three things. In the past, I’ve used gratitude rock (an iPhone app) or a handwritten journal. For this upcoming week I’ll record on my blog posts, starting with today!
What I’m Grateful For:
- I’m thankful for my husband’s patience, love and humor. Marriage was something I wasn’t was in the cards for me, I’m thankful every day for him.
- I’m thankful the pup is okay after she accidently got into a pill bottle a few weeks ago.
- I’m thankful to be a home owner, even though paying the bills aren’t fun, I love my home.
- I’m thankful for my clients and readers who make it possible for me to build a life doing what I love. Without them it just wouldn’t be possible.
- I’m absolutely thankful that my back is healing. For two years I couldn’t sit for more than 2 minutes without pain, driving was excruciating, and traveling was out of the question. I stop multiple times a day to thank god for the miracle that is my back feeling better.
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water