Nala waiting for the weekend to start on Friday.
Dealing with the shin splint situation…
Saturday was mostly a rest day due to the shin splint situation but I did do some abs before going to get my hair done! You know it’s good when your stylist takes a picture! (PS if you are in Arizona and need an amazing stylist definitely make an appointment with Brad – bradleymichaelhair(at)gmail(dot)com.) I’ve honestly never loved my hair more than I do right now!
Night dinner at BLD – Fried Goat Cheese Burger was DELICIOUS! Sunday Morning 5 Mile Run with Nala
Sunday Night Mass followed by a little walk at the Riparian Reserve
HEALTHY CHALLENGE: EAT ORANGE & YELLOW
Nutrients in orange and yellow vegetables:
- Zeaxanthin – thought to protect against macular degeneration!
- Flavonoids – powerful antioxidants which aid the immune system and fight inflammation. These properties help protect the cardiovascular and nervous systems. They also support the liver and aid in improved detoxification pathways!
- Lycopene – we learned about this one last week!
- Potassium – think of potassium as the counterbalance to sodium. Therefore it is vital to heart health, muscular function, nervous function, metabolism and electrolyte balance.
- Vitamin C – potent antioxidant and immune support
- Beta-carotene & Vitamin A – similar to flavonoids, carotenoids are known to act as powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties. Minimal amounts of beta-cartotene will convert to Vitamin A. Vitamin A is an essential nutrient playing rolls in eye health, the immune system, cell growth and cellular communication.
Orange & Yellow Recipes
[Tweet “Color your plate yellow and orange with these #healthy #recipes from @hungryhobby ! #glutenfree”]
Pumpkin Maple Coffee Creamer
Other things you could try:
- Yellow/Orange Cauliflower
- Slice Yellow Apples & eat them with this awesome caramel dip
- Try dried apricots as an on the go snack or fresh ones for a snack or with breakfast
- Try this broiled grapefruit for a snack or breakfast.
- Snack on nectarines, papaya, peaches, persimmons, and tangerines.
- Swap one of the recipes found on last week’s Healthy Challenge: EAT RED for their orange-yellow counterparts such as yellow beets, yellow watermelon, and yellow tomatoes.
Do you have favorite orange and yellow recipes? Feel free to link up below!
52 HEALTHY HABITS IN 52 WEEKS SERIES:
The 52 Healthy Habits Series is about ditching the diet mindset and making small changes to improve health overall naturally leading to a healthy body composition, increased energy and improved health. Please follow along and check out the past weeks!
- Week 37: Eat Red
- Week 36: Learn Which Foods to Purchase Organic
- Week 35: Read the Ingredient List!
- Week 34: Focus.
- Week 33: Chew Your Food!
- Week 32: Meditation
- Week 31: Gratitude Journaling
- Week 30: Plan & Revamp Dessert- 20 Healthy Ideas
- Week 29: Two fistfuls of veggies per meal
- Week 28: Get In Veggies At Breakfast
- Week 27: Healthy Veggie Snacks
- Week 26: Nourishing Fats for the Gut (Healthy Digestion Part 4)
- Week 25: Keeping Regular – The Other Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 3)
- Week 24: Feed The Probiotics With Prebiotic Fiber (Healthy Digestion Part 2)
- Week 23: Amazing Health Benefits of Probiotics (Healthy Digestion Part 1)
- Week 22: Check In
- Week 21: What You Will Learn From Recording Your Meals (Intuitive Eating Series Part 4)
- Week 20: Eat Until 80% Full (Hara Hachi Bu) (Intuitive Eating Series Part 3)
- Week 19: Limit Distractions While Eating (Intuitive Eating Series Part 2)
- Week 18: Gaging Your Hunger Cues (Intuitive Eating Series Part 1)
- Week 17: 10,000 Steps Per Day
- Week 16: Assess Your Caffeine Intake
- Week 15: Decrease Sugar Intake
- Week 14: Healthy Coffee Creamers (upgrade yours)
- Week 13: 3 Month Check In
- Week 12: Sleep Enough & Sleep Better
- Week 11: Schedule Your Workouts
- Week 10: Pack A Healthy Lunch (5 Ways to Create Endless Combinations)
- Week 9: Prioritizing Protein
- Week 8: How and What to Meal Prep
- Week 7: Create & Stick To Your Healthy Meal Plan
- Week 6: Get Enough Omega-3’s (Fight Inflammation)
- Week 5: What Is A Healthy Fat & How To Get Enough (Include Healthy Fats)
- Week 4: How to Spot A Healthy Carbohydrate (Upgrade Your Carbs)
- Week 3: Tips to Increase Veggie Intake (Eat Veggies)
- Week 2: 15 Healthy On the Go Breakfast Ideas (Eat BF Challenge)
- Week 1: Tips to Drink More Water